Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:24 AM

Exclamation Networking hardware/driver issue Vista

My Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop crashed and I was told it needed a new hard drive. I ordered one and replaced it. I installed windows vista home basic edition (what came with the computer). I was not able to connect to the Internet. The error message said install networking hardware and verify that the correct drivers are loaded. So I attempted to insert the drivers and utilities disc that came with the computer also. Under network drivers it lists intel wifi link 5100 rev:a02, when you click it there is an option to extract the files and it says installation will automatically follow. However when I click extract it says insert disc 1. I have no other disc and am pretty certain this is the only one that came with my computer. So I can't get on the Internet at all and am stuck at this point. Of course it's out of warranty so Dell is no help whatsoever. Please help!
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Get all drivers you require for your 1545 laptop direct from the Dell website instead of using the CD.

This link takes you to the page you need. Enter your laptop's "Service Tag": http://support.euro.dell.com/support...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

The "Service Tag" is the best and recommended method to correctly identify which drivers relate to your particular laptop.
Otherwise you'll be expected to choose the right driver from a whole bunch of different hardware manufacturers, since Dell did not fit the same parts to all the 1545 models
during it's production cycle. Your laptop's service tag identifies exactly which parts were fitted to it.

Last edited by pip22; December 24th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.