Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM

My Vista Home Basic machine won' sleep anymore.

I hope this is in the proper forum... Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. Last week my 3 month old Gateway machine running Windows Vista Home Basic developed insomnia. I had it set to go into sleep mode after 45 minutes. It did this correctly until a week or so ago. Now it won't go into sleep mode even if I force it from the start menu. The monitor goes into low power mode but the computer just sits there. ( not that I expect it to get up and run or anything...) I've rechecked all my settings and run virus, malware, spyware, keylogger, etc. scans all of which are neg... I didn't install any new software, and checked to see if something was running that I didn't notice at first. I even did a restore point to a time when it DID sleep correctly and that had no effect on this problem ????? Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? I have a 3 year old Gateway running XP and it goes into sleep mode with on problem.Any ideas??
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Have you installed Service Pack 1 yet phalcon352? There are a number of fixes included in it for hibernation issues. Check on the Gateway site before you do this though. Some manufacturers are offering patches to be downloaded for various issues before installing SP1.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the quick reply AnnMarie, all updates on all my machines are current. ( including SP1) I 'll check with Gateway Support as well as here for a fix. I will post any info I get from Gateway Support.
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

Any new hardware? The MS wireless mouse caused similar issues but a fix was inlcuded in SP1
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM

No, nothing new. No new hardware, software, no changes at all it just stopped sleeping.
I'm going to contact gateway support after the holidays and see what they have to say.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ok. Some troubleshooting steps here phalcon352 if you have not already tried them.