Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Acer laptop,problem when booting or closing,VISTA

well I got my laptop...acer aspire 5920G...with Vista preinstalled.one day I accidentally dropped it in its case but nothing seemed to have happened.when I opened it to see if everything was fine a black screen came and it started testing hard disk.this also happened the second time I booted.
after that it worked fine,but after 2 days it started laging...taking more time to shut down,stuck on programs...after I rebbot everything back to normal...I even searched in the control panel to find a solution and come across the "show cases" (or how it may be called in english) and I got a log with a lot of errors and warnings...all of them saying that there was a slow down in shuting operation or in booting.Using the "score" command I get an overall score of 4,8 with hard disk being to 5.2 score(the same score I got before the fall) and I dont know what is the matter.
Microsoft problem search was unable to find information on the topic.If you can help me or just inform me please do so.
Thank you for your time reading this letter.
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If VISTA is not shut down properly or at boot it detects something wrong it will automatically run CHKDSK (Check Disk) which it apparently did. Dropping could of jolted the hard drive. I would do the following:

Double click on "My Computer" then on the C: drive right click and go to "Properties" on the "Tools" Tab, check "error checking". It will tell you it cannot run and will run after a reboot, do that, make sure you check fix errors.... Reboot and you will again see the black screen, but this time will take longer and try and fix any errors it finds. When done will give you a report on the screen, it may flash for a minute but note if it finds any "Bad Sectors" and let us know.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM

thank you for replying so soon.I did it and wait for results but want to ask some more.Should I check both D:\ and C:\ ?
Oh and one more...what "could of jolted" means???can u explain...?
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM

well I checked both drives and no "bad sectors" were found...though the problem seems to remain...well maybe its not related to the fall..
The path I use to see the problem is the following(translated from Greek,maybe incorrect)
--->control panel--->system and maintance--->Check score--->on the left blue bar there is an option where it says "advanced tools"--->Show information regarding efficiency from the event archive log...
There it says something with yellow"!" warning about random programs taking more time than usual to start like svchost.exe or on previous boot explorer.exe...
there is also a red"!" error about windows boot time that takes much longer like 64k msec....
please help if possible...thank you
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:22 AM

"No Bad Sectors" found is good, means the drive is not damaged.

Jolted or jolt Sudden Shock

ξάφνιασμα

So if this happened within the last couple of days and you have not installed any new software since it happened try this:

Reboot and when the very 1st screen comes up start tapping the "F8" key. This should then bring up a screen where you can select different booting options.

Select "Last Known Good Configuration".

BTW: Your translation is good.
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:10 AM

Problem Solved
Thanks a lof Murf
Im glad you assisted me.
No more problems were found in the log...
Hopefully no problems will come out on my new laptop...
well if something comes I know I got the best site here...!hehe
Great Job
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:17 PM

Welcome did the Last Known....do the trick??
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM

problem again...well it seemed to have done the work at first but...tha first 3 or 4 times it opened without finding any errors in the log.
Now it keeps creating these warning,error and critical reports.all conserning booting and closing vista taking longer time.Can that be my antivirus (kaspersky 7)...though I desabled auto start with windows...
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM

Beside that today on start up where you should normally get the screen to choose accounts it just gone black color...nothing could be seen.restarted and pressed F8 for last known...
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM

Since this is fairly new did you get any CD's with the laptop? May say recovery on it???
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM

well I burned a backup of the windows vista(as you have to do with the acer laptops...)
so you say its better to reinstall vista????
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM

No not yet. I would do the following:

1. Click the Start button

2.From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories

3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option

4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option

5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled you will be asked for authorisation prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

6. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter

7. A message will appear stating that 'the system scan will begin'

8. Be patient because the scan may take some time

9. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue

10. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

11. After the scan has completed, Close the command prompt window
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM

I made the scan and it found problem...in translation again from greek
SFC scan found destroyed files and was unable to replace some of them.
informatiom where created in the windows CBS log.
I think thats a problem...dont you think??.....
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM

YES.

Here is how to read the cbs.log file

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

At this point it is probably best to run a VISTA startup reapirl.

Step-By-Step
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM

sry for being late...
so...I couldn't manage to do a startup check but because my acer had a program (eBackup or something) that had the option "restore to factory default" I did it...it seemed to erase all the C:\ drive and reinstalled the vista from the beginning...the problem was no fixed...well you advise me to run a startup repair right??...