Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Is it better to learn a scripting language ?

like HTMl in order to build a website or we must use front page like software ?
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM

learn html,css, php and mysql. If you ask me, this is all you need for simple, easy, useful sites. Building with frontpage isn't always the best option. You still need to know some basics of programming...
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
learn the scripts, software can make it easier but they have their limitations.
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM

I agree with the other's who have offered suggestion for you. You should learn some of the basic programming skills, such as html, dhtml, xml, php and css is very important. Don't worry to much about how much you should learn, that will come naturally. You can only help yourself evolve to greater heights.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM

I agree learn the scripting languages but that does not mean you can not use Web design software it just means you will know when it messes up and can change it or can code by hand things it is incapable of doing. Microsoft stopped making frontpage in 2000 and started making sharepoint, I use dreamweaver cs3 which I find to be a lot better then frontpage.
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM

web design language vs. software_billy L.

Though I can not disagree with you on that point, but for the sake of discourse(?), it is possible to design a website with the use of web design software, although using software specifically design to make web site development easier (or more user friendly) is the way to go. I to use Dreamweaver CS but not yet '3' and flash as well. There are some folks I have met who work with web design that use only code such as CSS & php. It is still all amazing to me what can be done and how it is done. Needless to say, that I am still learning myself.
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can use software to create full websites. The problem is for it to work properly in different browsers or different versions of the same browsers, you will have to do some manual editing of the pages.
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Yes, that is why you need to know the languages, it is nice that dreamweaver has the browser compatiblity checker but it does not fix the problem it just tells you the problem so you can fix it.
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM

You are correct with that response. One does have to work out the kinks, so to speak, to make certain that your imput works on various browers; and as you wrote, software does help with those 'kinks'.
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
I agree 100% with Freakman. Learn the languages then you can use any tool you want.

For the record, there is no "Dreamweaver CS" unless it's Dreamweaver CS3. I generally hate WYSIWYG applications. There all rewrite code. All of them. Every single one. Including those advertised as having "roundtrip" code. The only way to ensure you've got solid, clean code is to do it yourself.