Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question Win7 Audacity Beta 1.3, to capture from Reel 2 Reel?

Windows7 (64) Professional
Intel Core2 Quad 6600 - 2.40GHz, and 8GB DDR2 Ram. Windows7, Realtek HD Onboard Audio

Hello,
I am not quite sure where to park this post, so here I go. Moderator, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum if you wish.

I have several old band tapes on reel to reels, and wanted to know if Pinnacle Studio 14 HD can capture the audio using the Dazzle DVC-100 USB device, or could I even use something like Cool Edit Pro 2.00, WINAMP 5.6.21,or NERO9 WaveEditor4 .

I have a Sony Stereocorder REEL 2 REEL, just wanted to know if that would work, before I drag it out of storage. It must have audio R/L RCA jacks, and so does the DVC-100 Dazzle device.

These tapes were recorded in stereo, so I would want the best sound out as possible.I've been told to save as an uncompressed WAV, 16 BIT,44.1 KHz, save as FLAC file, then encode to an MP3 file when ready to burn to CD.

With Nero9,Cool-Edit Pro 2.0, and Studio14,I just was not sure if any of these would capture audio only.

Some have suggested me using the AUDACITY AUDIO EDITING PROGRAM for reel 2 reel capture, save/archive as a FLAC file then encode to MP3, to burn to a CD.

In researching the AUDACITY software, I noticed what they have that will only work with my WINDOWS 7 64 BIT, is the AUDACITY BETA 1.3 version, which is not fully tested, and is still in the development stage.

This BETA requires the minimum of 4GB RAM and 2.0 GHz CPU, So I hope I'm in the ballpark.

According to Audacity, they say I could download this beta version to my WIN7, but some things could go wrong, and may not be very stable.

Is this my only options as an audio editing title to capture from reel 2 reel? Thank you all.
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Audiograbber, (make sure you include the Lame encoder within the directory; I believe the most recent installers come with it). Record the whole side as one Wave or 320 Kbps MP3 file and, then, chop it up to individual songs.

Bring up Audio grabber. Then use File | Line In Sampling.

Use the Mixer button inside Audiograbber to adjust the volume so that the VU meters register about 50-60%. Then start recording. It will even chop up the songs for you individually If the spaces between songs are of a reasonable duration, as opposed to segues.