Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old November 5th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Firewall Issue (2) one more thing

Continuing from: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=94537

Hi again, I don't think I explained myself fully in my previous thread so my apologies,

It's not actually on a network per se, although all our wires go to a central hub, each room has an individual connection but it's set up by the university accomodation - this is purely to stop people having their own connections fitted and then leaving the accomodation at the end of the year without paying the bill. This way the accomodation owners are in control.

Although I knew from reading the contract that the internet would be set up by the accommodation providers we were not informed at any point that we would be unable to use MSN to host or receive Video or Audio conversations, and the fact that they even state we are allowed to use Yahoo messenger to host and receive these conversations shows it must just be a glitch of theirs that they can't fix - and since nobody I know uses or wants to use Yahoo messenger it would be far easier if I could find a way to use MSN to do this as I bought a webcam especially to keep in contact with family and friends before I came to uni.

Thanks in advance again.
Old November 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Odds are, your connection goes through the universities server which means they dictate what can be viewed and what can't be viewed..

If they are allowing Yahoo Messenger, then I suggest you use that..

Again, we won't help you circumvent their policies and restrictions...

Murray
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:07 PM

ok no problem, thanks for your responses