Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Router/Hardware firewall worth combining with software firewall?

Ok, just wanted to ask this because i couldn't find much info about if it was worth actually getting a firewall router even though u might already have a software firewall.

Well, I'm very thorough when it comes to security and integrity with data on my computer, and since i p2p quite a bit and also have my comp running 24/7, which would in turn increase my chances of being hacked, i should be even more so.

Atm i have norton 2006 internet security that i bought from a local retailer (to guarantee it's integrity).
I have broadband cable for internet, as what might've been expected.

Not to mention i also regularly backup data from my computer to my external hdd and DVDs (Probably could be considered as paranoid at this point...).

Just in case i added to much gibberish and the question for this thread has been mistaken or clouded i'll state it again:
Is it worth getting a firewall router (~$AU70-150) to be used in conjunction with a software firewall such as NIS2006?
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi LocrEpinS, a hardware firewall will certainly add an extra layer of protection from external attack however it seems to me that it would be a waste of money if you intend to continue to use p2p file sharing applications.
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
however it seems to me that it would be a waste of money if you intend to continue to use p2p file sharing applications.
Why is that? i know that using a firewall with p2p appz sometimes effects the reliability of the program but is that the only reason?
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

No. See here.
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
No. See here.
Yeah, they're pretty scary facts.
I knew that a majority of malwares come from p2p networks as such, but i'm usually cautious enough to scan most files b4 i execute them(which is rare because i hardly download appz).
I know that it is possible for some to slip through, so in most cases i test it on my other computer which is connected to the interenet via an ICS local network between the 2.

That computer on its own has the same firewall and anti-virus software as mine.
And just as a side note, I'm knowledgable enough to determine if it's legit or fake, so i take caution when something's inconsistent.

I haven't yet once had a malware attack on my computer in the years it has been running.

It's quite easy to say that file intergrity and security are my highest priorities above all but it's always said that you can never be too safe, which is true, but where do u draw the line between being cautious and just plain paranoid?

I just want to determine the best and most efficient way to protect my computer and it's files from unauthorised access and manipulation, without going overboard.
I believe that is the hardest question is: when is something "safe"?
ATM i'm fairly satisfied with my current setup, and haven't yet found any major reason to ditch out about $AU100 for a firewall router.
But it's not really the money that's the concern, it's what i've heard firewalls will do to p2p apps, most of the time affecting it in an adverse way.

Edit: we all make spelling errors ^^.

Last edited by LocrEpinS; June 10th, 2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I believe that is the hardest question: when is something "safe"?
Heh, that question has been debated here in various threads and I believe the conclusion was "when the computer is turned off and disconnected from the power outlet".
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Heh, that question has been debated here in various threads and I believe the conclusion was "when the computer is turned off and disconnected from the power outlet".
LOL.
Anyway, that is true, very true.
But.. what is a computer that isn't running? A paper weight?(a little to heavy imo)
Yeah, that's a good question, what is a computer for when it isn't on? just a waste of space imho.

Well, i guess i'll stick to my current setup.

Last edited by LocrEpinS; June 10th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.