Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Which CPU for Vista Premium

Hi, I'm looking to replace my ageing laptop with a desktop unit.There are currently two systems I am looking at, both using Gigabyte MB,s. One uses an Intel core duo 1.86 - (1066Mhz FSB) CPU. The second one has an Intel Pentium D dual core 3.2Ghz 2x2MB L2 cache CPU. I am an average home user. Which of the above would be suitable and also which is the latest in the market place. I would like to use Windows Vista Premium. I would also consider the Pentium 4 perhaps on a gigabyte M/B too. I want to keep my costs down. I assume I would also have to have a graphics card and 1GB of Ram. Hope this information is enough to go on. I have a local shop that can put together any combination anyone comes up with. BTW my laptop is an Asus A4L(A4000L) loaded with XP Professional and 512 Mb of Ram - (Celeron 2.8) and is too slow with several apps. open. I had toyed with the idea of adding extra ram but is it worth with the Celeron CPU ?

I hope this post is in the correct part of the forum as I realize that I cross over between XP and Vista.

Thanks in anticipation of a response.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi there,

You can get the mimimum spec's for Vista from Microsoft.

As it says, any processor over 1GHz will suffice. I would get the best that you can afford and the latest is the Core 2 Dual. AS you ask though, to keep down costs a P4 would do the job.

Vista reqires 1GB of RAM for Home Premium, so that would get you by. Mind you, memory prices are low at the moment, so aim for 2 GB if possible.

A seperate video card is better than onboard video too.

Just a personal opinion, I wouldn't add RAM to your laptop as the CPU is not the best and may still struggle with any memory added.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Well i would say that the CPU is really not THAT important. But ram and decent graphics (if u want the eye candy are) Your laptop could run it decently CPU wise i think. But im not sure how good the onboard graphics are in it. Laptop ram is extremely cheap now days so it would be easy to upgrade that.

As far as the other computers go. I would og with the Pentium D processor.