Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Dead computer

I just built a new computer it's got a Soyo kt600 ultra mb, a 2500+ barton amd processor, 1 512mb stick of Kingston HyperX pc3500, 2 wd 120gb hard drives, a zalman 7000 fan, an older vid card (waiting for the new one) and 550w power supply.

My computer was working fine except for a hardware problem with the usb ports so I was going to test my memory out to see if that had anything to do with it, but before I could do that something terrible happenend...

I reset my bios and got: cmos checksum error-defaults loaded. I don't know if that is normal when one resets the bios, but then I loaded the optimized defaults and began to boot no problem to windows in order to get the memtest86 program.

Unfortunately, I had forgot to shut off the usb support (part of the optimized settings) and so got the blank screen (part of my usb problem). When I pressed reset, the computer seemed as though it didn't fully reset or something, and, I think, made a funny sound. Suddenly it started to smell like smoke so I was forced to cut the power supply as the reset button wouldn't work.

Now when I try to boot it up, I get nothing but the sound of fans and drives whirring as they start up. No beeps. Nothing.

I fear that the cpu has overheated or something. I'm not sure how to go about testing different components.

What steps should I take? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Phuri

p.s. If you need more info just let me know what.

Phuri
Old October 9th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Pull all power and open her up... do the smell test. Sniff around, see if you can tell where the smell comes from. If it's been a while it may not work but that's the start...
Then look very carefully for burn marks on the motherboard and such. Pull the HSF and check the CPU. Should be able to see something... if not then look to the PSU. Swap it out and see what happens... it's a start.