Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question VISTA & Internet Security - Need Add-Ons?

Still in the market for a new laptop & pretty much committed to go w/ Vista, as mentioned in another thread.

Currently perusing & reading David Pogue's book (shown below) on Vista, and am on the Security Center chapter; the main sections of the center include: 1) Firewall; 2) Automatic updating; 3) Malware protection; and 4) Other Security settings. In the Malware selection, the two options are virus protection (not a part of Vista) & spyware protection.

Thus, a simple answer to my question would be to add a 'virus program', such as AVG, and the go w/ 'what' Vista offers? But, the firewall is apparently 'disabled' for outbound traffic (Pogue does mention a way to change that but not really intuitive for the average user IMO); also, how good is the spyware/malware program?

I have Norton IS & Spyware Sweeper on my current laptop - recently updated - could transfer them, I guess, but 'how much' more is really needed - TIA for comments & suggestions!

Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I use the free version of Vista Firewall Control because I'm far too lazy to figure out all the intracacies of configuring Vista's firewall. Firewall Control uses Vista's built-in firewall and, like Zone Alarm, asks if something wanting to get out or in should be allowed.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
I use the free version of Vista Firewall Control because I'm far too lazy to figure out all the intracacies of configuring Vista's firewall. ......
Miz - thanks for the recommendation - think I've seen that option mentioned, and seems like an 'easy' way to handle the question of 'outbound' traffic -