Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Upgrades

i was wondering how i upgrade slackware from 10 to newest, and KDE and Gnome, do i have to reinstall or can i update liek in XP somehow? thanks
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:21 PM

I honestly can't see any huge difference between slack 10 and 10.1. Probably something really minor so a full upgrade probably isn't really necessary. Having passed wind about that, swaret is the slackware equivalent of apt-get for online live upgrades. Generally though you can update and install various segments of the OS with the pkgtool utlity. Hit the slackware site and read what you can do with it in the online documentation.

KDE is a little trickier as you need to install it manually with pkgtool. Its pretty easy and there's a readme file bundled up with the distributed binaries you can get to from the kde website. I'm not sure how you go about upgrading Gnome but from what I've heard Patrick may be dropping Gnome entirely from later distros or at the least changing over to Dropline.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I would suggest against upgrading to 10.1, as some hardware profile changes were made that could conflict with how your computer works (networks cards are a big factor).

Aside from that, if you want too upgrade, look into swaret and qtswaret (graphical frontend to swaret).
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM

I dont know, I've never had any sort of hardware problems with slack 10.1. But then again, I tend to stay away from off-branded oddball "buy it now and save big" hardware and my NIC has always been onboard Marvell Gigabit.

Graphical front end to swaret?! NICE!! Gotta go check that one out.
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
With 10.1 it would not pick up my rhine ethernet card (pretty odd) because of the kernel configuration. Recompiling fixes that, though.