Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:09 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
HP Recovery Drive

I wanted to know if their is a way to open the HP Recovery Drive so I can modify it. You see, the reason why I would like to do this is because my computer is over 2 years old. Thats 2 years worth of modifications and upgrading. I really dont want to go through all those installations again and such and such... So I wanted to access this Recovery drive so i can modify it so when I use System Recovery, instead of being installed to its "factory shipped condition" It will install to the condition it is in now. So as you can see, I just dont want to waste time in doing all the re-installations. So plz help!
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Wouldn't you be better off doing something like creating a ghost image of it in it's current state?

If it's one of those charming litle hidden partitions (god bless 'em) you can give it a drive letter and access it as normal. How you do that depends on your o/s. Say your using XP SP2, please
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:38 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Well ok... um let me go into further detail. It is infact a partition, but it already has a letter. The ghost image I have thought of, but im too poor at the moment to buy a program that does it, and I havnt been able to find another program that lets me use it free of charge. It does have its own letter D:/ And I can access it, but their is some sort of program in their that hides the folders. Going to folderoptions and checking the "show hidden files and folders options" does not work. Ive been able to actually "see" the files using a program, but Im unable to modify them. The folder witch contains the security settings is visible but I cant access the files because of a display msg that has a warning sign in a BMP format, which of course hides the OTHER files as well. I cant virtually touch anything. I can only see them. I need to get rid of that security in order to actually modifyt he files in the recovery partition. I ve tried deleting, but no use. Any other options?