Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Sleep mode

Hi computer helpers: I am running win7 Home Premium version.

When I upgraded from Vista every thing worked just fine, even the
sleep mode. But, now the sleep mode has developed a small problem.

When I click on sleep, it will go to sleep but will not stay that way. After a few minutes I hear a small click and it comes back to life loading the background picture and ready to go to work. It didn't do that at first, it
would stay asleep until I clicked the mouse like it supposed to do..

I suspect it's a setting somewhere that I have wrong, but I haven't been
able to correct it. There are some settings for the sleep mode, but they
are confusing to say the least. I tried different ones but the problem
didn't change, it still won't stay asleep.

Maybe someone has had the same problem and knows the correct settings
to cure this little agrivation ..

Thanks for your help..
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Bennie,

Usually, it's a hardware or programme that's being allowed to wake your PC. There's a little help over at Microsoft that may assist.

First of all, I would try their advice of;

"1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2 .On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK."

Then again, it may be hardware that is responsible. Apart from the given examples of the mouse and USB flash drive, one of your biggest culprits can be your Network Interface Card (NIC).

"1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to prevent from waking your computer (Network adapters for example), and then double-click the device name.

3. Click the Power Management tab and then clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box.

4. Click OK."

Hope you find a solution.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohray View Post
Hi Bennie,

Usually, it's a hardware or programme that's being allowed to wake your PC. There's a little help over at Microsoft that may assist.

First of all, I would try their advice of;

"1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2 .On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK."

Then again, it may be hardware that is responsible. Apart from the given examples of the mouse and USB flash drive, one of your biggest culprits can be your Network Interface Card (NIC).

"1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to prevent from waking your computer (Network adapters for example), and then double-click the device name.

3. Click the Power Management tab and then clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box.

4. Click OK."

Hope you find a solution.
Problem solved, at least for now. It appears the Network adapter was
causing it.. I did what you suggested and cleared the "allow this device
to wake the computer" box. Left it in the sleep mode for about an hour and
it never came back on until I clicked the mouse button..

Thanks for your excellent help..

I am grateful..
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again Bennie,

I'm glad that your problem has been resolved. Thanks for both taking the time to keep us informed and your kind words.

Cheers.