Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Explorer window "C:\Program\windows" opens up at bootup

Hi!

Everytime I start my computer the Explorer window C:\Program\windows opens up. It started to happen after I installed Windows Media Player 11.

How can I make this window disappear at bootup? I've typed msconfig at Run and looked through all startup items. There are so many. Could it be I have to disable a certain item to make the window disappear at startup? If so, which one?
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Open My Computer. Click on Tools > Folder Options. Click View and scroll down and see if Restore last window on Login is checked. Uncheck it and reboot.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Thanks Rainbow32!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow32 View Post
Open My Computer. Click on Tools > Folder Options. Click View and scroll down and see if Restore last window on Login is checked. Uncheck it and reboot.
The folder option Restore last window on Login is already unchecked. Why then does this Explorer window pop up at computer startup? I would be thankful to get some more guidance.
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Do someone of you computer experts have some idea!

Where in XP do I turn of this uppopping Explorer window? Is there some modification I can do in the Registry?
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to tell my problem is solved.

In the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
Value: WMPNSCFG
Data: C:\Program\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

The solution: Apostrophes where missing before and after the path. The Data string shall read like this:"C:\Program\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe"

Without apostrophes the Explorer window C:\Program\Windows pops up everytime the computer is started.