Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM

My Documents "Not Responding" --> 30+ Sec Delay on Mouse Clicks

My system gives a "Not Responding" message and delay whenever I click on individual files in the My Documents window.

First, my mouse works fine in IE, starting programs and opening/navigating the My Documents window, or getting metadata by doing a mouse roll over individual files.

The problem is when I try to double click open or right click on indivdual files to move, copy or rename. The mouse seems to hang with no response. If I click on the file a few times, I see the My Documents window add "(Not Responding)" to the top bar of the My Documents window. There seems to be a time out after about 30 seconds to a minute. After that the mouse commands seem to work normally. When I go the next individual file, I get a repeat.

It's not large files. The HDD is not active. It's not the mouse. I have tried the onboard mouse (notebook computer) and USB external mouse. Both have the same problem. It seems to be a timeout delay before Windows executes the mouse command.

Any idea why the system is hanging?

Regards,
Patrick
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
My Documents "Not Responding" --> 30+

Hopefully this will be of some help:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm