Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Message: "ccApp.exe is not responding" during computer restart or shutdown

Message: "ccApp.exe is not responding" during computer restart or shutdown...

Have you ever experienced this irritating little error message when trying to restart your computer? Isn't it implicit when you hit restart or shutdown that you want ALL programs to shut down first so you don't have to click on "End Task"? (that's a rhetorical question)

I finally got tired of clicking on "End Task" to get my computer to restart and decided to get to the root of the problem once and for all. Here's what I found... this applies only to people running Windows XP and Norton Anti-Virus 2006, although the link below contains further solutions for all users.

"Turn off Auto-Protect floppy drive scan on shutdown
Norton Auto-Protect is configured by default to scan floppy drives when the computer shuts down. This message can happen on computers that do not have floppy drives. If your computer does not have a floppy drive, follow these steps to turn off that option. [squirekat note: use this option even if you DO have a floppy drive. It will fix the problem]

To turn off floppy drive scanning on shutdown
Start Norton AntiVirus.
If Norton AntiVirus is installed as a part of Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security, then start that program.
Click Options.
If you see a menu, click Norton AntiVirus.
In the Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box, in the left pane, double-click Auto-Protect.
Click Advanced.
In the right pane, uncheck Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down.
Click OK.
Shut down the computer."

Here's a link to the full explanation, found in the Symantec Knowledge Base...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam

Hope this helps someone!

squirekat

PS There are other programs that sometimes won't shut down on restart or shutdown (and there are solutions) but that's for another post. If you're having trouble with other programs that refuse to shut down just post a reply here and I'll go over what I found to solve that problem.

Last edited by squirekat; May 13th, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Yet another reason to avoid Norton like the plague.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
lol Seth! There are other programs that won't always shut down when you try to restart, although the Norton problem is the most common one.

squirekat

Last edited by squirekat; May 13th, 2006 at 07:41 PM.