Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Exclamation Yahoo messenger and Windows Messenger wont connect

a pleasant day

i have a new acer aspire 4720z laptop with windows vista home
but i cant seem to connect my yahoo messenger and windows messenger as well, i have uninstalled my anti virus (norton internet security) and disabled windows firewall but still it wont connect, but my friend has a new LG laptop with windows vista too but he can use the messengers fine. any ideas?
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi midoban06. Perhaps it will help if I can see what is running on your computer. Download Deckard's System Scanner (dss.exe) from here to your Desktop. Close all open applications and windows, doubleclick on dss.exe to run it and follow the prompts.

When the scan is complete, a text file will open. Copy and paste the contents of this log (Main.txt) in your next reply. Also post the contents of Extra.txt (it should be minimised on your taskbar but if not, it can be found in the C:\Deckard\System Scanner folder). You may find that the maximum characters allowed is exceeded when you post. If so, halve the logs and make several posts.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by midoban06 View Post
a pleasant day

i have a new acer aspire 4720z laptop with windows vista home
but i cant seem to connect my yahoo messenger and windows messenger as well, i have uninstalled my anti virus (norton internet security) and disabled windows firewall but still it wont connect, but my friend has a new LG laptop with windows vista too but he can use the messengers fine. any ideas?
Hi midoban,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team, and I can assist you with allowing the applications through the Norton Firewall. Please follow the steps below to allow access for your instant messaging programs. Make sure you keep the Windows Firewall disabled.

1. Open Norton Internet Security's main window.

2. Click on the 'Norton Internet Security" tab at the top of the window.

3. Click on the "Settings" category to expand it's options.

4. Click on "Web browsing" and then click on "Personal Firewall. Choose "Configure."

5. On the left side of the window click on "Program Control."

6. Navigate through the list and locate the Yahoo and Windows instant messaging applications.

7. Click on the pull-down menu next to the each of the two applications and choose "Allow."

8. Click on the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button.

The next step is to allow for real-time protection for the instant messaging applications. To do so, click on the "General Settings" sub-category under the 'Real-Time Protection" category. Next, click on "Instant Messenger" and put a check in the box next to the Yahoo and MS Messenger.

Thank you,
Mike