Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Can't Boot into XPsp3 w/Dual Boot Computer; Hal.dll Error Msg. Need a Repair Install?

Hi Gang,

I have a dual boot computer.
Win98 SE is my ‘C’ drive and
WinXPsp3 is my “D” Drive.
D is the default boot.

This problem started when I had to swap out my C drive, which was clicking, for a new one. I can boot now into Win98 just fine but when I try to boot into XP I get the following error msg:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I also have the choice of booting into the WinXP recovery console when I am presented with the choices of booting into Win98 or XP. When I try to boot into the error console I get the following error msg:

NTLDR is Missing. Press any key to restart

I have Roxio Goback 3.2 on my system, FAT32. It was DISABLED before I began this process.

I could try to do a repair install of WinXP from my “C” win98 drive and send the missing files to D, which is the XP drive but I don’t know how to do this without erasing all my other files.

Anybody know how to do this or have another solution?

Thanks Brainey?