Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Smile Strange update,is it legit?Wants to run after download???

I have an update waiting on my computer and its

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2011 (KB890830)

Download size: 926 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

I am just wandering if its safe to download and do I need it, I have free avast.

Thanks!
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Yes, it's legit.

It won't hurt anything to get it and let it run and, who knows, maybe it'll find something avast missed.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:12 PM

I did the update and did not see anything on my desktop, I assume it ran, I restarted in mins and nothing popped
up telling me it found something, I am wondering if I restarted too soon.

thanks so much!

Last edited by perplexed; September 28th, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
It runs in the background and you never hear from it unless it found something.

It makes a log you can find in C:\Windows\debug. I just got it, checked the log after about 4 minutes and it says it completed and found nothing.
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:08 AM

thanks no infection found.