Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:13 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Win 7 Shutdown-Sleep Mode-Restart Issue

I truly hope there is a solution to my system. Really do need this since I am disabled and have no other way to do stuff. Lately I have tried to put this system in Sleep Mode if I am going to be away for awhile-namely doctor or related appointment. When I would try to put in Sleep Mode it would look like it was going to, but then decide to restart again-bypassing shutting off.

Then a day or so later, I tried to shut it down before bedtime and it would not shut down. The Hard-Drive would simply keep working doing (?) and I think would restart as well. It got to where I had to actually pull the plug to turn it off. I had also tried to shut it down from power button, but it did not respond forcing me to pull the plug-cutting off power. Another weird issue was when I tried to simply power the thing up and it did absolutely nothing. No lights, no whining of the HD. Nada. I went to take a nap and 3 hours later tried again and it started rebooting.

I did all the troubleshooting protocols: scandisc, disc cleanup, and defrag, and even ran CCleaner for good measure. It appeared to solve the problem for a week but came back. Two hours ago, when I tried to fire this thing up, it went into startup repair-twice, and shut down. On third try I hit power and it cycled through. On the diagnosis at end of scan it listed all the things it checked. Everything passed. However, at the end it listed "System Restore Result": Failed. Error Code ox1f.

It also stated under Disc Failure Diagnosis: "A patch is preventing the system from starting". And I have been thinking before this problem developed I had just gotten an update from Microsoft. I'm fairly certain of this.

So if this is the case that this "patch" is causing the problem, how does one find what/which patch it is referring to? I had a security update again today. I was rebooting/restart to finalize the update process. That's when it went into "Startup Repair" twice and shutting down on me. Amazing it responded on third try.

But does any software pro have an idea how to resolve this? I'm trying to get Ride Assist to take me to Office Max or Staples so I can get a large Flash Dr. to back up stuff. I don't have one large enough at the moment.

I realize there are many others with problems. So I will be considerate for those in front of me. But I really need to fix this and look forward to what may be the problem. I am also a fan of "Mystery Novels" So this mystery has me looking forward to finding the "suspect". I'm curious as to who the suspect is.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:03 PM

You should never have to pull the plug. What happens if you tell Windows to Shut down?