Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:56 AM

Renew Norton or buy 2007 version?

I've had Norton anti virus in my computer since I bought it two years or so ago. Should I continue to resubscribe (I'm due in a month), or would it be better to get the 2007 version? It is my understanding that even with the updates older versions do not have the same features as newer ones. Correct? So are there notable innovations in the newer version that would make it prudent to get it?

I assume it would be best to buy the disc in a store rather that try to download the whole program on line. Rignt?

Finally, if there is another anti virus program that you would recommend over Norton what is it? Thanks!

RB
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robadar View Post
I've had Norton anti virus in my computer since I bought it two years or so ago. Should I continue to resubscribe (I'm due in a month), or would it be better to get the 2007 version? It is my understanding that even with the updates older versions do not have the same features as newer ones. Correct? So are there notable innovations in the newer version that would make it prudent to get it?
I'm assuming that you have 'just' the Norton Anti-Virus program and not the internet security suite, which might affect your choice? I had the latter suite and my 18 month subscription just expired - I simply resubscribed - the program seems to be working fine, and there did not seem to be any major new additions on reviewing the products on the Symantec web site; of course with older Norton products, upgrading may be your best choice since the outdated product may not be supported any longer; likely not true in your case; so, probably up to you - carefully read the uninstall-install instructions on their web site if you plan to upgrade - the last 'irritating' aspect of this choice is that there seems to be little cost difference which makes you feel that upgrading is your best choice!

Quote:
I assume it would be best to buy the disc in a store rather that try to download the whole program on line. Rignt?
Over the years, I've done it both ways - nice to have the disc in hand, but the downloads have worked fine for me; cost differences might be an issue since boxing up a product & putting it on a disc is usually more expensive; finally, the size of the download & your internet connection speed might be a deciding factor; would not want to do a 10-20 GB (or larger) download w/ dial-up!

Quote:
Finally, if there is another anti virus program that you would recommend over Norton what is it? Thanks!
Sure, plenty of other anti-virus programs out there, both commercial & free (such as AVG which is often recommended here), and as either 'stand alone' programs or as packages - some examples would be Trend-Micro & Zone Alarm (plenty of reviews on the web & check their websites). Good luck in your selection -