Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old February 20th, 2003, 12:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
critical updates

Hi Ann-Marie and Dodge. Just a quick question: I am concerned with updating all my "critical updates" as the last time I did (Win ME--refer to previous posts) it made my computer go haywire! Everytime I would click on Device Manager, it would connect to the internet. For security reasons, I feel I need to do the updates, but am wondering if they make my computer go haywire again, can I uninstall them? I have too much data on here that I want to save and I would hate to have to format. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, K.
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
If your not having any problems with your PC right now, then in My opinion I wouldn't touch any Updates. 99.99% of the time, by the time Microsoft comes out with an Update of anykind, Hackers already have a way around it. So your not really any safer by adding the updates.

When I first got online 3 year ago, I did all the Critical updates 1 time. It crashed my PC and I had to reformat. Never touched them since.

Its your choice of coarse, but I'd say leave them alone. They're not worth the Possible trouble.
Old February 20th, 2003, 06:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

Its got to be your call Kelly. I do install all critical updates and I have not yet had a problem however I do know that others have had bad experiences similar to yours.

A couple of points, I usually wait a week or two after the update has been released to install it. That way, if there is a problem with it, it should have been picked up by MS and rectified by then. Also I always create a new restore point before installing (just in case).

Regarding the last part of your question, I dont know if MS updates can be uninstalled in WinME. I have XP and I can uninstall them but I have never had WinME and I dont know if that feature is available. Can someone with WinME comment please?
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Ann-Marie. I just recently upgraded to XP so I'm assuming I wouldn't have a problem. But I think I'll have to agree with Dodge on this one. After the last experience with updating, I'll forego them unless anyone thinks they are essential. Thanks Dodge and Ann-Marie!
k.
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thats fine Kelly. Like I said, it has to be your call and you are very welcome for the input
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:18 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
I ALWAYS update every Windows installation I do, at work or at home, with every Critical Update available from MS.

With the exception of a WMP patch a while ago I've never had any issues with it.

Same with Service Packs
Old February 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

Your welcome. I can say this for sure, If you do decide to go with updates, and if you already haven't done so, then DO NOT get SP1... It has caused alot of Havoc. Has been out awhile and does seem to be a bit better than when it first came out, but is still causing major problems for alot of people.
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:38 AM

While following this thread, I became confused about which SP1 you are referring to. As I understand it, there is SP1 for IE6, and a SP1 for Windows XP. Which SP1 are you referring to and why? I am running IE SP1 now in Win 98SE and I have a new system arriving in 2 days with Win XP Pro. I was assuming that I needed to install SP1 for XP as soon as I could. Can you clarify it for me please.
I really enjoy this forum and reading such helpful posts by you guys. Your knowledge and patience is commendable.

I thank all of you for your service.

after all, they don't call me lamebrain fer nuttin
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi LB - welcome to CTH. The SP1 that Dodge was referring to is WinXP SP1. Some users had problems with their OS after downloading it. I downloaded it without any trouble whatsoever though.

If your new PC has WinXP Pro preinstalled on it, it may already be loaded.
Old March 31st, 2003, 03:22 AM

Thanks AM.
I was wondering about it. I too, feel the MS issues the updates for the overall improvement of their products. However, not all systems react positively to them, due to their hardware and software configurations. If a problem ariases, we deal with them, and MS usually has an answer for those isuues also.

I have been watching this forum lately and I feel it helps more users than any source out there.

I thank you all for your generosity and help.

Lamebrain
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

We thank you for your kind comments LB and you are very welcome for the help