Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:40 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
100% CPU Usage then end program and another goes to 100% usage

This is really annoying, I have had some lag issues with my pc, I have ran antivirus and spyware and deleted a virus. (BackDoor.Generic2.ABBA) and I still have this problem.

What happens is say I'm just doing normal things, suddenly something will lag and hit 100% cpu usage, if I try to end the task, it ends, however then some other program (not related to it) gets 100% usuage. This keeps happening untill I reboot my pc, then its okay for a bit then it just reoccurs.

I dont think I have a virus, maybe some thing is being hidden from task manager, does anyone know what that other good program watcher is called (Task Watcher maybe?)

I might have to reinstall windows, which would be annoyng because you loose all your installed programs and things (I'd have to back up alot) however if this doesnt resolve I probably will =D

Thanks

John
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:50 AM
<- My cat, Jeep

O/S: Linux
Hi John,
I think you still have something, maybe spyware or something your anti-virus didn't get.

Our Cyber Safety forum's purpose is to help people get rid of infections like this.

To help the Cyber Safety experts help you, please read this post first about how to get and use Hijack This.

Once you have a Hijack This log, don't try to fix anything, just start a new thread in the Cyber Safety forum and paste your Hijack This log in it.

-Phil
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:52 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Okay, but could it also be hardware fault with the CPU (its only about a year or 2 old)
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:05 AM
<- My cat, Jeep

O/S: Linux
This is pretty classic behavior for spyware... but what really sold me is that you found just one virus. In my experience, if you find one virus, there are typically other viruses and/or spyware hidden away. I can't think of a hardware issue that would cause this.

- Phil