Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Why is my Internet Explorer Crashing?

I have a 1 yr old laptop (COMPAQ) at home running on Windows XP, and my internet explorer recently keeps crashing (shut down by itself) when I tried to go to some websites. I have checked and there's no virus or worms, etc. So what is the problem? This have never happened before. Does it have something to do with Windows XP or is my Internet explorer corrupted and needs to be re-installed? HELP!!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM

If you're sure you don't have any malware, then try the following in the order posted:

1) Update Internet Explorer.

2) Run IE fix from here.

3) Go to start,run, and type in sfc /scannow
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Hi Seth

Thanks! that's quick.

Do you know of any free anti-malware utilities in the internet which I can use to clean any suspected malware? If not, then will this suggested re-installing Internet Explorer wipe out my favourite listing of websites?

Please let me know.
Much appreciated!

Rgds
Phil
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1268
Hi Seth

Thanks! that's quick.

Do you know of any free anti-malware utilities in the internet which I can use to clean any suspected malware? If not, then will this suggested re-installing Internet Explorer wipe out my favourite listing of websites?
Check out Ewido and Bitdefender from my below links. Some may recommend Trend Micro's online scan, but I suspect it has false positives.

And no, your favourites will remain intact with any of the steps.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM

Hi Seth

Thanks again.

I can't find these Ewido and Bitdefender from your links as mentioned. Can you pls. send it to me? I assume these are free or trial utilities?
Email: tech1268@yahoo.com

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Rgds
Phil
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1268
Hi Seth

Thanks again.

I can't find these Ewido and Bitdefender from your links as mentioned. Can you pls. send it to me? I assume these are free or trial utilities?
Email: tech1268@yahoo.com

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Rgds
Phil
You're Welcome.

They are both free online scanners. Just look right below this paragraph, and click on the blue highlighted Ewido and Bitdefender.