Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Question An unwanted page opens

Hi there ;

Although I am in the middle of being helped to repair something within the cyber safety forum, I believe (hope) this is a more appropriate question for this web browers forum.

When I open a series of pages in my explorer 8 I recently always get one very unwanted page or advertisement which opens seperately in its own new window. It is very annoying to have to constantly close it. Where did it come from and how do I get rid of it permenantly?

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!!
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The person in cyber safety will help take care of that problem, as the unwanted popups are likely due to spyware infection. Keep working with them and following their steps and you issue will be resolved.
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM

I have been now instructed by Jintan to turn to you guys:

He seems to think that the majority, if not the entirety of my problem is comming from Windows Live Messenger . Can you Help?

The following is the relavant correspondence:
Hi again -

Like I mentioned earlier - I installed the IE8 while we were working together to fix the other problems on a whim hoping it might fix some of the IE crashes. Like I said - the biggest difference is that now the IE crashes and asks if I want to debug (by the way - what is debug) and many times it only finally closes one series of tabs or one specific tab.
What can I do about this?

I just now caught an error report on a crashing IE8 (before it was sent to microsoft and then deleted). I sent it to your email address with an appropriate subject header.

Also I asked a question in the "Web Browsers" forum and they told me to ask you here :

Hi there ;

Although I am in the middle of being helped to repair something within the cyber safety forum, I believe (hope) this is a more appropriate question for this web browers forum.

When I open a series of pages in my explorer 8 I recently always get one very unwanted page or advertisement which opens seperately in its own new window. It is very annoying to have to constantly close it. Where did it come from and how do I get rid of it permenantly?

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!!

wolflmg answered:
The person in cyber safety will help take care of that problem, as the unwanted popups are likely due to spyware infection. Keep working with them and following their steps and you issue will be resolved.
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by joeybach; March 29th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.

OK I did it!

But as I did, I reminded myself - that I actually did this whole process originally in an attempt to solve the problem before I turned to you guys in the first place.

I am quite sure that then (as now) - I downloaded messenger from a kosher source (the same one, btw, that your link directed me to here in Israel).

Never the less - This time, after un-installing it properly and re-booting, I also used search and manually deleted all programs and files associated with windows live. (Hope I done good)

After re-installing windows live messenger I noticed a problem which was apparent before and after all previous attempts to uninstall and re-install. Namely: That the messenger window indicates {by showing a certain video icon} that I have a camera attached to the system - which I DO NOT. [I Do have cam software installed but NO actual cam] This anomally has not dissapeared with the present re-install. AND as I type here - I do notice an occasional lag between typing letters and their appearing on the screen here.

Also you probably are aware that the file wmaecdmort.dll is still alive and well.

I shall report back later on possible IE or other crashes.

Ok so I am still getting IE partial crashes and especially when I click that Video Icon within windows messenger (the icon which shouldnt be there in the first place because I dont have a cam attached)

I saved the log it produced but its too long so I sent it to your email.
Which I called Joeybach MSN Messenger Crash Log 31-4-09

You have a Windows Live Problem there, not a malware one. I see the file you sent shows Windows Live One Care. This has been causing problems on systems I have seen, and can also conflict with your existing security software. But you will need to ask on this in the Internet/Browsers forum where they more often address Messenger-type problems.

Back To Nature

If we have helped you, please consider supporting Cyber Tech Help with a subscription.

Tom

Last edited by joeybach; April 1st, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM

If IE continues to crash I may try uninstalling and reinstalling it.
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.

IE8 - which I installed as an attempt to stop error messages in IE7 (which I un-installed) also sends error messages. So unless I re-installed incorrectly - this is not the problem with IE.

But the main problem and reason I turned to you seems to be with Windows live messenger. It shows or indicates with a cam icon that I have a webcam attached to my laptop when in fact I do not. And if I click on this icon it almost always causes. WLM to crash.

I have uninstalled and re-installed WLM several times.

Any ideas?
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM

Where does this icon show on WLM, I have WLM, but I don't have a webcam. Are you positive that your laptop does not have a built in webcam.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM

Come to think of it - IE8 is still crashing too:
Here is the data - log I captured for the most recent crash:

Its too long I sent it to Jintans email and asked him to send it to you.

Thanks
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM

I'll see what I can do, but if you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I wouldn't know what to tell you.

As far as IE 8 crashing, that is happening to some people. Some of which have either swithed back to IE 7 or are just using firefox.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM

On any chat I open it shows a cam icon as if I actually have one. The same icon I would click on to start a video chat. And when I do - it ususally crashes. To the left of the display pic icon is a downward arrow and under it a cam icon. Not everyone I chat with has a cam icon showing for THEM. And in fact some have told me that even when THEY are showing a cam icon - they dont neccessarily have one. (that would mean I am not the only one with this problem.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM

If more then one person are having the problem, chances are its with the program itself and not you. I do remember when I first installed WLM last week, that it crashed on me a couple of times, but has since stopped crashing, but I don;t use the program that often.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM

Well perhaps the crash log which I managed to capture before it was sent to Microsoft will help- I sent it to Jintans email and asked him to kindly foward it to you.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM

I'll look over it, but I don't really know anything about crash logs. Jintans probably would be better suited to look it over for you.

I'm good when it comes to basic every day things and good at following steps when removing an infection.