Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Please help with backdoor.Sdbot AVG detected in C:/System Volume Information\restore

Today AVG popped up an alert stating it found IRC\bacdoor.Sdbot virus [trojan] in my c:\system volume information\_restore and AVG told me to re-run the virus scan to clear it up; upon re-running my scan which was clear and free last night when I ran it, still comes up as being virus free and Norton AV also states it is clear... I do have this virus sitting in the virus vault from about 2 weeks ago when we first caught it, and AVG could not heal it, so i locked it in the virus vault. Any ideas on how to clear this virus up? Is it endangering anything on the PC now? Thanx so much! I am running windows XP.
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again Jory,

Turning off System Restore

Turning on System Restore
doing this should clear it up.

Don
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:57 PM

Thanks, again, Don, ! I did the following; now do you know how I can check to be sure the virus is gone? {Being that Norton and AVG don't detect it in a regular scan.} I don't know how that message popped up today, it was within it's own window, just telling me to re-run AVG and stated it would find it and repair it, but it didn't. I do understand that system restore probably takes care of it, but I guess I need reassurance that the darn thing is GONE! Thanks so much!
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

disable your AV and run this Panda Active Scan

you have 2 running ?
Nortons and AVG ? If so not a good idea can cause conflicts.

Run the scan and see what it comes up with

Don
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yep you do, I just checked you other post,
Really not a good idea, Jory.

Make sure which ever 1 you choose to keep is updated, you can always run an online scan a second check on things.

Also check for crytical windows updates and you should be fine.

Don
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM

Hi Don, sorry it took so long for me to post a respose; my 7 year old son is home sick with the flu, so I've been AFK.

I did run the Panda scan, and all checks fine. I think I will choose to keep AVG only then, since it is conflicting to run two. AVG is excellent for finding more torjans/viruses than Norton. My only concern is that Norton picks up E-mail viruses, and AVG seems not to, but perhaps that is only because Norton gets to it first, then I delete the virus infected file.

Thanks again for all of your help. Take care!

Edited to add: P.S. I do also keep windows up-date 'on' so as to get new up-dates when they come in, thanks for telling me about it though.