Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM

New Computer with Vista. What security programs do I need?

Hi there. I just got a new computer this weekend, and it runs Vista Home Premium. I have heard that there is a firewall and spyware software included with Vista, but not antivirus. Is this true? What programs do I NEED to run?

I have learned the hard way that running more than one security solution can seriously slow your system down.

I got some software free when I bought my computer. If I NEED to run additional things, which of these would you recommend (or please tell me if they are all crap):

PC-cillin Internet Security (says it includes AV, Spyware, Firewall, anti-phising and some network stuff (but I don't have a network)).

System Mechanic 7 Professional (says it cleans spyware, includes iolo AV, iolo firewall and some other stuff).

webroot Spy Sweeper

Registry Mechanic PC System Repair (by PC Tools Software)

Any advice is appreciated. I'm delaying getting on the internet with my new computer until I have my security set up figured out. Thanks!

Mary