Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM

Will i have to reinstall all programs?

Hi,
I am wanting to install windows vista on a separate partition on my hard drive. Currently i have WindowsXP on C:, wanting to install WindowsVista on D:, i have all programs installed to E:, and i have My Documents in F: everythings running fine right now on XP, but when i install Vista, do i have to install all my programs and games? I don't really want to do that, and i don't want to restart my large programs list, i will if i have to, but....any comments?

Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
to install vista in a separate partition, you will have to purchase the full version - you cannot use the upgrade version. You will have to reinstall everything.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM

I am not upgrading xp, i'm installing a fresh version, so I will be running 2 operating systems on my comp here. but then...considering i have my ProgramsE: I always install all progs there, so if i install it again in the same location with vista loaded, won't that screw it up when im using those programs in XP?
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
If you install Vista on a seperate partition, you should not have to re-install games. Apps, probably. I am still running games from two builds ago with no reinstallation. So you should be fine. Just create a shortcut on Vista's desktop from the original .exe. Be warned though, not all games work with XP yet. I was having trouble with a few of mine working.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Yes games I likely won't need to reinstall, that's fine. i just finished installing vista on my other partition, its working, but all apps dont work. the problem is, if for example, i install msoffice again while running vista, i always install it in the same location on my programs partition. so basically, i'll be overwriting what i have right now. that should make it work for vista, but will it work when i run msoffice from xp? i'm not sure if i make sense, hope I do.

Thanks
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyan331 View Post
I am not upgrading xp, i'm installing a fresh version, so I will be running 2 operating systems on my comp here. but then...considering i have my ProgramsE: I always install all progs there, so if i install it again in the same location with vista loaded, won't that screw it up when im using those programs in XP?
you can try as suggested but if the games require windows features to run, then it will have to be reinstall. A lot of games are not self contained in one folder.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
If it isnt working for you now under Vista, then I doubt that there will be any difference when you reinstall it under Vista when you are in XP. I would just install it on the Vista partition and have two seperate Office locations. One for XP and one for Vista.

Things such as Adobe, AV, Firewall, Xfire, Trillian, etc will need to be reinstalled under Vista more than likely.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM

That's what I'm sort of afraid of, because I have a lot of programs, and i dont want to basically double my program usage. i have over 20gb in programs, and i dont want to have 1 copy for xp and 1 copy for vista, unless i have maybe premiere running only on xp, and photoshop on vista only.