Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:55 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Can’t connect to Internet: cannot find server or DNS error

Ever since Internet access was upgraded from POTS to DSL connection has been rarely successful. Verizon sent a replacement ‘modem.’ It still does not work and now Verizon claims that the problem will be solved by re:installing Internet Explorer.

I do not know Windows XP Home and I am buffaloed by it and could not figure out how to Reload or Repair IE. I started to run the Restore CD thinking I could just restore the OS and IE but the message I received stated that everything on the C drive would be lost. The PC is a friends.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

I would try using the System File Checker tool first to verify the system files are O.K. before attempting a repair of I.E.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
As I now understand it, System File Checker is Repair. Ran it, don't know what it did. Take a few days to find out if the problem was solved. Loaded Opera (which I like better) just in case IE is still defective.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

The only way you can tell if the SFC tool ran sucessfully is to check event viewer and find the entry for system file checker.
Here's a link to MS for the repair of I.E.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
Opera is an excellent alternative to I.E. Make sure you have Windows Updates set to automatically download if you don't want to use I.E. to get them.

Last edited by Rainbow32; May 16th, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Jim, if you do an IE reinstall,from a disk it will erase and compress the files
{old} if you have an XP with the recovery option,go to system recovery
it will just reload IE,just make sure, when asked type of recovery,click
non destructive,it will save all the files on the hard drive as my C:/ my docs
and it should {http://tinyurl.com/pemf }work after that {don't use disk} if you want to save.the link above will help
pc stupid