Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM

How to "unhide" a folder hidden by a "hidefolder" utility?

I used this "hide a folder" program called "folder lock," and I guess it's buggy because it won't let me unhide the files. It unhides the folder containing the files, but the files are still hidden. They're still there, because when I copy and paste the folder, it shows that the files are being copied, but in the new folder they will be hidden again. Checking the "property" of the folder shows the correct size as well. How can I get windows to reveal them?

The hidden files are listed in this folder called "n|+|-n" or something like that I think, but when I type that in dos or windows it won't let me access them.

PS I contacted the company, but I don't expect a response back any time soon and those files are kind of important.

Thanks!
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Open up My Computer (Or any Windows Explorer window). Click tools > Folder options > view. Look down at Advanced settings, And under were it has "hidden files and folders" select "show hidden files and folders".
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM

As l337_GuY said, just do that. That will at least reveal the folder. You may not be able to view the files inside the folder though. So, here's what you do.

After following l337_GuY's instructions to see the folder, you then locate the folder on your computer, and right click it and select "Properties".

Now you see the properties window come up. Now un-check the box that says "Hidden" and click "Apply" and then another window will come up. In that window, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and and files" and hit ok. Now you should be able to open the folder, and view the files inside of it.

Once again, that is only if l337_GuY's method doesn't fully work.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

You should be able to boot into Safemode and view the files.
AFAIK folder lock does not work in safemode.