Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:02 PM

External Hard Disk problem????

Alright, guys, i really need a computer's expert on this. So, I haven't used my laptop in a few weeks. When i came back, i connected my hard disk to it to start deleting stuff. thing is I can't do that because for some reason, my hard disk seems to slow down my computer. My computer is able to read the disk but it just freezes at the part when it is calculating the amount of memory it needs to delete. Can anyone help with this, please???
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:32 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Hard Disk "Memory" is really called "Space"

You need to run chkdsk on the external drive.

With the external plugged in, double click on "My Computer" then right click on the External Hard Drive Icon and go to "Properties", on the menu go to the "Tools" tab, then click on "Check Now" button then Check both boxes;

Automatically fix file system errors
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

This can take a while depending on the size of the drive. You can just check (Automatically fix file system errors) first, see if that solves it, if not then go back and do both. The process for bad sectors can take a couple of hours depending on size of drive.