Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:28 AM

Reboot Loop.

Just moved a friend of mine into her apartement. She had someone hook up her computer, and she mentionned to him about a file error she was getting. "CRSS.exe cannot be run/does not exist" or some sort. She said it started happening after she removed some spyware. The guys removed the CRSS.EXE entry from win.ini, and it still gave the problem on login. He then went and deleted similiar entries in the registry using REGEDIT. Proceeded to reboot, it gets too the Windows XP Loading splash screen, then restarts. (And no, he did not make a backup of the registry before making his changes )

I've now been looking at our options, have tried to boot in Safe Mode, and it loops into a restart as well. Have tried last known good config, etc. She has my XP pro CD at her house now, I havent attempted a repair as of yet, cause I wanted to get some info from here first.

I was just hoping to find a way onto the computer, to find out if hopefully she had her system restore points activated, and if that will help with the problem. There is no error message or anything, it just restarts itself after the splash screen. Would a certain type of boot disk work in this case? Or is the XP Repair the only way to go?

Thanks.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioaltima
hopefully she had her system restore points activated...it just restarts itself after the splash screen
The restore points first because it the quickest way out. If you can't get to System Restore
by booting F8 Safe Mode then that option isn't viable.

That reboot-loop usually need a repair install to fix it.

You should try the Recovery Consol (XP CD boot option) and commands
chkdsk /r then when it's done
fixboot
fixmbr
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider
The restore points first because it the quickest way out. If you can't get to System Restore
by booting F8 Safe Mode then that option isn't viable.

That reboot-loop usually need a repair install to fix it.

You should try the Recovery Consol (XP CD boot option) and commands
chkdsk /r then when it's done
fixboot
fixmbr
I have ran the chkdsk /r /p ....

I was afraid to use fixboot and fixmbr as I wasnt completly sure what they did. It mentionned a warning about overwriting the current sectors.

I know my way around PCs pretty well, but not to this extent. If this is an alternative to the Windows Repair, I will try that. Otherwise I will just run the repair off the windows CD. And no, it does not boot into Safe Mode. Just trying to find any other way to get into Windows to run the Restore. I know once I run the repair, and if it works, I should be ok though. I'm still using it as a last resort.

I will try the fixboot and mbr tonite afterwork, and use the repair as my backup. Feel free to add any suggestions, I will keep monitoring the thread from work.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Audioaltima; October 3rd, 2005 at 12:19 PM.