Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Outlook 2007 - Must everything go through my Exchange account?

Hi everyone. I have Outlook 2007 set up on my PC with all of my email accounts. Most of them are POP/SMTP except for my work account, which is an Exchange account.

I recently noticed that whenever I sent an outgoing email, even though I have Outlook set to use the same account that the email was addressed to, a copy of the sent email gets put into my Exchange's Sent Items folder (as well as my Personal Folders' Sent Items folder).

I checked my work's webmail to see if the IT admins could then see my sent emails and there they were in that Sent Items folder as well.

I guess I don't understand Exchange and how it works. I don't want my IT admins at work to be able to see any of my personal email -- does everything have to go through Exchange?

Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Is this a work computer you are referring to?

Murray
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM

No, it's my personal computer at home.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

Best solution would be to check with your IT guys and have them change the sttings on the server.

First thing I would do is check the "outgoing server" settings for each of your personal accounts.

Murray
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM

The IT people aren't going to do anything about it, unfortunately.

All of my accounts' outgoing server settings are set to my ISP's outgoing server except for the Exchange account.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyqueue View Post
The IT people aren't going to do anything about it, unfortunately.
Did you ask? If this is a personal computer (not work supplied), you could try an invasion of privacy arguement.

Murray
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM

I'll try, but they were reluctant to supply the server settings for this account anyway.

But is this standard for an Exchange account? For everything to go through it and not the other accounts?

Also, if items are located in my Personal Folders and not under my Exchange folder, they can't see anything in there, right?
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

All they should be able to see is what is in the Exchange Folder. To be doubly sure, I would post this in the networking forum and let the guru's there have a look.

Murray