Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Question Windows XP Media Center Requirements?

I was just wondering what the requirements were for Windows XP Media Center. Microsoft would like you to buy a pre-configured PC with the software on it. This is creating a hard time for me to find any specs on the requirements on the Internet. I just built a new PC and have about $1500 into it. I would like to get the Windows XP Media Center software and put it on my PC if it will work.

Here is how my PC is built:
* Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T
* ASUS P5RD1-V Socket T (LGA 775) ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 ATX Intel Motherboard
* 1 GB of RAM
* 250 GB hard drive
* Hyper Threading Technology

If someone could help me out on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Iceman89
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Well this is all I could find:

Media Center PC Basic Requirements
The Microsoft FAQ for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 and Media Center PCs states the basic requirements as follows:

"Media Center PCs are complete desktop PCs equipped with hardware and software to deliver advanced computing and rich digital entertainment experiences. Media Center PCs include mid- to high-end processors, high-capacity hard drives, CD-ROM and DVD drives, and a remote control. The systems feature advanced graphics and audio capabilities, as well as networking connectivity."

In terms of what my survey showed me, this is what that specification means in more concrete terms:

1.8 GHz Pentium P4 processor or higher (some over 3 GHz)

256 MB RAM (many with 512 MB or higher)

40 GB hard disk (usually high-speed ATA, many drives 100 GB or larger)

5.1- or 6-channel audio capabilities, many with speakers (some with separate woofers)

High-end graphics adapter with built-in TV tuner (some with FM radio, many with TV and DVI outputs)

Some kind of audio output for home entertainment hookup (analog or digital only in some cases, both kinds in others) along with a high-end audio adapter

Personal Video Recorders (PVRs) that use the hard drive, TV connection, and software to enable recording and playback of TV signals

Support for infrared remote devices, including a Microsoft-mandated remote control, plus keyboard and mouse (often wireless)

Various forms of digital video handling, with universal DVD playback capability (many included DVD burners as a standard option on such systems)

And that is located at:
http://www.quepublishing.com/article...?p=335377&rl=1

Hope it helps.