Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Unhappy Cannot install display driver Nvidia "incorrect parameter"

Hi,

I'm trying to install a Nvidia display driver for a Gforce Fx 5200.
I use the latest version from the official Nvidia site
Version: 71.84
Release Date: March 11, 2005
WHQL Certified
i already tried using an older version, no luck.

Everything works just fine until the setup is finished and I reboot. Then, when I enter Windows, instead of immediately recognising the card, Windows find "a new graphic card" en asks for drivers (which it shoudln't) but ok, I show the way to the folders where the Nvidia files are located and Windows accepts them and starts to copy DLL files and stuff like that.
After everything done, I get the following message:
(I translated because I got a Dutch Windows version XP SP2)
"The hardware cannot be installed" "There's been a problem with the installation of Nvidia Gforce FX 5200" and then he sometimes says "The file could not be found" but that is rare but normally he says "Incorrect Parameter".

I installed, reinstalled, cleaned, used tools to search for abandoned Nvidia files that were left after deinstallation and began a new install, I chose the windows standard video adapter and reinstalled the driver, you name it I tried it.
I spent hours and hours searching the web for tools and fixes; found some, none worked. (eg: Nasty File Remover, Detonator RIP)

This is the only issue the computer has so in my opinion it is maybe a bit early to start formatting yet.

= P L E A S E H E L P =
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
See if the guide on this Install Shield page helps.

Also check out this page (the "install iKernel" link on the first page).
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I wont start a new thead as the problem i have is exactly the same as JorGo. Everytime i uninstall my MSI 6800GT and install new nvidia drivers then restart my computer it goes to hardware wizard and i install the drivers again all i get after it is "your new hardware encountered a problem and may not work properly" Then i get "incorrect parameter error". I tried the sugestions above but none of them worked. It did work before and i've tried system restore but i'm now stuck with a old instalation of 71.89 Nvidia drivers which do not work properly. Counter-Strike & DOD wont work in Open GL and all my other games look a bit ropey.

I've also tried pretty much everything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PC Sony Viao RZ504, P4 3.4 Ghz, MSI 6800GT, 1Gb DDR400, 250GB Hard Drive, Windows Home XP SP2

Last edited by Betamax Bandit; August 15th, 2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Does no-one have any other suggestion's as to how to fix this problem it's almost as if windows doesn't recognise the hardware ID?

Please Help!!
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Thumbs down

Well this is a fairly useless forum no replies to my probem at all!!

Come on someone prove me wrong?
Old August 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Most of us do not have the time to monitor the board constantly. Patience is required.

I can only recommend what has worked for me...start trying different drivers until you find some that work. All the Nvidia drivers you could ever want can be downloaded from Guru3D.

I've had enough problems with the "latest and greatest" drivers from Nvidia that I start with drivers that are two or three versions short of the newest and work my way down the list.