Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Internet speed Slow because of Windows XP?

My internet speed is at a crawl and I need some fresh ideas on what the cause might be. I have done checks for viruses and spyware, no pop ups or funny things to make me think that might be it. Have tried shuting down all starts ups emptying cookies and temp IE files. turned modem off and on and unplugged it.Also defrag and disk clean up. And yes I 've tried calling the ISP and they all tell me the same thing. Iam really at a loss to what I can try now. Could it be something in XP I can tweak? or maybe some software that deals only with interent speed problems? There must be a cause of this that I can fix.
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
How do you connect to the internet...dialup, cable, DSL, something else? Are you using a router? Is your computer networked with other computers (other than the internet, that is)?

Keep in mind that a lot (maybe most) ISPs will never, ever admit there might be, or is, a problem on their end. For some reason, they don't even want to tell you there's a problem with whoever provides their access, either. I have no idea why they want to keep that sort of thing a big secret.
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Ok yeah forgot to add that. I have a DSL hook up I think that is LAN not on a netwrok and no other computer are hooked up to my just the one. and no router I dont believe. See when I called ISp they did say they could see that my speed was slow but really didn't say or help me to fix it.
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Ok yeah forgot to add that. I have a DSL hook up I think that is LAN not on a netwrok and no other computer are hooked up to my just the one. and no router I dont believe. See when I called ISp they did say they could see that my speed was slow but really didn't say or help me to fix it.
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM

1) The modem may just need to be reset. Unplug the modem power for one minute. Plug it back in, wait about 30 seconds then restart the comp.

2) Are you running Norton? If so, disable it and check the connection. Norton is notorious for causing internet problems.

3) If your ISP said your connection was slow, they would have determined that through a ping test. If they ping your modem and get packet loss, then it's their problem (unless the prob is the modem itself and it's owned by you).

4) Ping your ISP (they will give you an address). Go to start, run, and type in cmd. At the command prompt, type ping (Your ISP address). Let me know the the time at the end of each line.
Old November 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM

well seth they wouldn't give me there ping address and they said there was no packet loss. and now there telling me that they see that the speed is where its suppose to be and can't figure why my isn't . I really don't know
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Did you try my suggestions #1 and #2 ?

Also, try a different browser like Firefox. It's available here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Oops, sorry Duce. I just noticed in your original post that you did reset the modem.