Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old February 25th, 2024, 01:27 PM

windows update at log on

I have windows 10 on a refurbished computer and most mornings when I try and log on it takes forever and it appears to be doing updates and I can't figure out how to change the time NOT to do it in morning, I don't even see an option to change the time for updates, thanks!
Old February 25th, 2024, 04:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Sounds like an update has failed and the computer is trying to reinstall it.
Check which updates are installed:-
Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View update history
You can also turn updates off on that page just to settle things down while you work out what is going on.
Old February 26th, 2024, 02:23 AM

Thanks,they are all successfully installed, how do I change when they download and are installed?
Old February 26th, 2024, 06:46 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Take a look at the windows update page that you went thru on your way to view history, there are settings on it.
Old February 26th, 2024, 03:55 PM

This is another argument to just let your computer go to sleep at night instead of powering off. Then, if necessary, Windows will do the updates when you are idle and/or in the middle of the night.

I never power off my computers, except for maintenance or if I will be away from home for more than a day or two.
Old February 26th, 2024, 06:56 PM

Same here thanks!
Old February 26th, 2024, 07:01 PM

All I see is this thanks
Set active hours to let us know when you typically use this device. We won't automatically restart your device during this time.

I am looking for download time of new updates.
Old February 27th, 2024, 04:36 PM

I don't think you can do what you want - not with a simple setting. You can schedule when to install updates but Windows will download them when the computer is otherwise idle so it does not impact performance while you are using it.

The problem with scheduling updates is some users will put off installing the updates indefinitely and then their computers will become vulnerable to attacks and exploits by the bad guys.

History has shown repeatedly when users fail to keep their computers current, they get infected, hacked and otherwise compromised and then, they blame Microsoft for allowing that to happen! This, even though the available updates would have patched/fixed the vulnerability the bad guys exploited.

To make matters worse, all the Microsoft haters in the forums, blogs and IT media would then parrot the false accusations bringing all sorts of unjustified blame, bad publicity and more hate on Microsoft. This has happened over and over again for the last couple decades, beginning big time with XP.

Did the anti-malware providers (who cried and whined to Congress and the EU that it was their job to block the bad guys) get blamed? Nope. Did the users who failed to keep their computers (and security) get (or accept) any blame? Nope. Did the perpetrators of the offenses get blamed? No! Not even the bad guys! Who got blamed? Microsoft. It really made no sense - especially when they wanted to put anti-malware code in XP, but was prevented by Congress and the EU from doing so or risk being forced to split up for being too monopolistic. They were being monopolistic, but that's a different issue.

So, Microsoft decided, primarily starting with W7, they would much rather be blamed and chastised for making Windows less flexible than being falsely accused of bad security that was actually brought on by careless and naïve users, bad guys, and all the MS haters out there.

And frankly, I don't blame MS on this.

One thing you can do is tell Windows you have a "metered internet connection". However, the setting often comes with all sorts of unfavorable side effects. So do your homework and know what you are getting into before enabling it.

Last edited by Digerati; February 28th, 2024 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple typos.
Old February 29th, 2024, 02:19 AM

I understand and thank you!