Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:42 AM

Unhappy Password stealing hackers...

My friend and I play an online game together in which this happens all the time. Today he got on and someone was on his account. He changed the password, and yet again the person got on trying to steal his items and such. He uses Spybot:Search and Destroy, Spyware Doctor, and Ad-aware. I can't think of anything else to help him much. I had him download "Noscript" for Mozilla to prevent any unknown script's from being connected while he is online. It seems the person is getting screenshot's of his screen, and keylog strokes somehow. He doesn't use any Firewalls, but I have already taken the procaution to make his password's safe til he uses his computer again. I need to find a way to help him out soon so he can use his computer without having his information being gathered by someone who's abusing the information. Basically I told him to try Hijackthis, and Silent Runner's tomarrow but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Anyone got any suggestions on a Firewall program for him to use? Thanks in advance... -Slaven152
Old November 21st, 2006, 07:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
If his OS has already been compromised, installing a firewall now will not be much use Slaven152. You cant close the barn door after the horse has bolted.

His best bet is to post his logs in the Cyber Safety Forum and let us check for malware.
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
If his OS has already been compromised, installing a firewall now will not be much use Slaven152. You cant close the barn door after the horse has bolted.

His best bet is to post his logs in the Cyber Safety Forum and let us check for malware.
Thanks, We ended up taking care of it and putting up a Firewall. Thanks for the help though. As for that saying... You can close the barn door, but it wouldn't do anything except close the horse out... I would prefer the saying "You can't put two cat's in the same cage one at a time." Although it doesn't apply with the situation, I suppose it's still a very funny saying.