Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:16 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Unable to create a System Restore point.

I have enabled System Restore, tried to manually create a restore point and continue to get the message
"System Restore is unable to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then run System Restore again."

I have rebooted with System Restore enabled and tried, same message ,
rebooted with System Restore disabled, then enabled after reboot, same message .
I made sure that it was truly enabled by checking the "services" list, it was and still the same message .

I also tried with and without my external portable hardrive connected.

Days prior to all of this my ESET NOD32 antivirus found and fixed/deleted a variant of the Win32/Kryptik.GF trojan without any apparent damage done. Wondering if this is the cause. I dont know if my System Restore was enabled prior to that infection or not...haven't had the need to use it.

I have since re-scanned my entire system with NOD32 and I have also run Spybot S&D with no apparent problems showing.

I have no prior restore points, I was unaware that System Restore was disabeled.

Unable to find anything relevant to my problem on Microsoft. You have helped me here before so I'm hoping........

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Markos
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM

Try going here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll to line 278 on left to Restore/Enable System Restore.

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

mickzer.