Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:04 AM

cd drive won't play non-professionally made cds

it doesn't matter if i make them or if someone else does, they won't play; i get a message telling me that it's a blank cd. they play on my other computer but not on this one. sony vaio laptop, xp home, wmp 10.
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:50 AM

A couple of things pops into mind first.
1. If your CD rom is an older rom, it may not read CDR's very well.
2. Depending on the format, if the cd is recorded on a CDRW, oftentimes only another write drive can decipher the info.
3. Possibly a software/driver issue (although, I don't think so)

You may either have to buy a newer CD rom, or use a write drive to read the disk. OR...use an external CD rom for your laptop.
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM

thanks.

i've been afraid it's money-spending time for a while. i'm trying to find a reasonable (free) answer to the problem, but it may be hopeless. i appreciate your taking the time to reply. boyd
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Sorry for Late response, my internet was down for nearly a week. With the market so overloaded with cdroms and cd burners, they aren't really too expensive nowadays. There are a gazillion places online to order CDroms including Ebay, as well as everything from best buy to wal-mart