Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Internal_Power_Error?

So, out of nowhere, Vista is giving me an internal power error BSOD during Vista's startup.

It goes through the part where theres the scrolling statusbar, but where it should show the vista logo and play the little sound before going to the user select screen, I get a BSOD.

I've made a few changes, but I don't see why any of them would cause this.

First, I moved my PC onto a rolling cart and relocated it in the house. I don't think this is the problem, as I hibernated the PC since then and it started up successfully.

Further proof that this isn't the problem is the fact that Ubuntu starts and runs flawlessly, which is what I'm using now.

Second change I made are 2 software installations...
The first was just a small volume display thing, nothing serious and I don't think it would cause a problem

The second was SetPoint for my Logitech Keyboard. I don't know why this would cause a problem either, but it is the most serious change I made before the problem started.

I have a feeling it is software related, mostly because first, as I said, Ubuntu still works fine, and second, because if it was hardware related, I'd think it'd give me the BSOD sooner, not /after/ windows has gone through the loading process.

I'd like to just delete the setpoint program files so that it can't start, but I can't mount the NTFS drive because of the unclean shutdown the BSOD causes.

I can't mount any of the other NTFS partitions I have for archival purposes either, so obviously Windows mounts all those before it dies.

Is there a way I can log the startup to see where a problem happens? If so, how do I do that, and where do I put the file so I can see it from here, or however that works...

And also, has anyone else had problems with SetPoint? I have a feeling that is causing the problem, not because its a suspicious program or anything, but simply because I can't imagine what else the culprit would be.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
I also can't boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Command Prompt, which I think is more or less like Recovery mode....That seems to rule out software in my mind, but I could be wrong.

But if we're back to hardware, why does Ubuntu still work? Confused

Last edited by tech_9; July 17th, 2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:08 AM

Solved.

Me: *Pops in Vista CD*
Vista: Do you want to install Vista or repair it?
Me: Repair please.
Vista: Okay...Let's just take a quick look...
Vista: Ah, Something you've installed recently isn't playing nice...
Me: Uh oh
Vista: Yeah...I can fix that for you. Want me to?
Me: Yes please.
Vista: Alright, give me one minute...
Vista: That should do the trick. Want to give it a try?
Me: Sure thing.
Me: *Restarts*
Me: *sighs in relief.*

You know, for how bad people talk about Vista, its not THAT bad at all.
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

LOL, thanks for the update tech_9. Vista grows on you doesnt it.