Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM

upgrade to vista

I just bought a new lap top that came with vista installed. I also purchased a wireless modem that will not work with my desk top computer. I have win98nd on that. Can I upgrade with out any oops correct that. few issues ?
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
It's unlikely you'll find Vista drivers for the hardware on the 98 computer. Many manufacturers aren't bothering to write Vista drivers for any hardware older than a year, maybe two. It's also unlikely that Vista will already have drivers for older hardware.

Vista also requires quite a bit of power to run. It needs, for example, a gigabyte of RAM. It needs at least a 1 ghtz processor, which is the minimum requirement. That means it will run on a 1 ghtz but not necessarily run well. It needs a 128 MB video card (that's in addition to the 1 gig of system RAM) to run Home Premium. Does your 98 system have all that?

So my advice is unless you bought a real powerhouse 98 computer, no, you won't be be able to put Vista on the 98 computer with much hope of it running at all, much less running well.

Finally, you canot put the copy of Vista that came with the laptop on another system, regardless of the other system's specs. You'd have to buy another copy of Vista.
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM

well thats sad . Guess I will have to see if I can find a modem that willl work both. Thanks for your quick reply. This site is the best and you guys / girls do a great job. Thank you
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The wireless you got should work, modems are not operating system specific. What brand/moel of modem? How are you connecting the PC??? Tell us how you are hooking everything up?