Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Feel bad for Johnson. In an interview with him and his VP candidate Weld:

Quote:
In the cringe-worthy minute-long segment, Johnson sat speechless as host Chris Matthews posed the question: "Who's your favorite foreign leader? Any one of the continents, any country, name one foreign leader that you respect and look up to, anybody."

Johnson's running mate William Weld, sitting alongside him in the townhall style interview, offered, "Mine was Shimon Peres."

"I'm talking about living," Matthews responded.

"Go ahead," he said, gesturing to Johnson. "You gotta do this. Anywhere, any continent. Canada, Mexico, Europe, over there, Asia, South America, Africa, name a foreign leader that you respect."

Johnson's answer: "I guess I'm having an Aleppo moment."
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:48 PM

He finally said the former pres of Mexico, but couldn't think of his name.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 07:44 PM

O/S: Linux
Now Don has been called a genius for avoiding tax for 18 years. Didn't Al Cap have spend time in jail for similar????????????????
Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:31 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The 1995 tax return published on the NY Times web site is for New York state, New York City and City of Yonkers income tax.

It uses the figures from the federal return of the same year, just like most states do and the federal return showed a $916 million loss.

So either his accountants arrived at the federal figure legally or the IRS is truly incompetent, unable to find tax cheats among the highest profile individuals.

Hillary has a golden opportunity to give us her plan to reform the tax code that allows people at Trump's income level to avoid paying taxes but so far, she's just been complaining about Trump not paying any federal taxes 20 years ago.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:42 AM

from the outside looking in it appears that avoidance and evasion have become more than a little blurry...
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
from the outside looking in it appears that avoidance and evasion have become more than a little blurry...
What I know for sure that for the past several years of a federal tax rate of 25%, after taking all the deductions and credits allowed, we ended up paying an effective rate of a little over 6%.

Evasion or avoidance, it's all legal (or so our tax guy told us).

The US tax code is so massive and convoluted, even the experts agree nobody could possibly know it all.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:21 PM

Hello, IRS? Miz, Kansas, audit please. Yes, right away.

Actually, most prez candidates have touted to "fix" taxes, as much as fixing Social Security, but none have yet. And Trumpo, who may know, like your tax guy Miz, how to use all the loopholes to reduce his taxes, has zero idea how to change things to a better system. He becomes president (and it pours rain in Death Valley, Assad agrees to capitulate, Russia begs the western world for forgiveness and the Pope makes Jaytee a living saint), and let's say a repub Congress still exists, they may support him now, but come time, reality kicks in and they shoot down any of his cockamamie concepts. Not that Congress will remain Republican.
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:00 AM

Until Trump responded to the published return, neither candidate had proposed a tax reform plan, only changes to what we have now, leaving the rest of the mess in place.

Hillary's plan is to add a 4% surcharge to income over $5 million, another surcharge to some capital gains and to raise the estate tax on estates worth more than $3.5 million to 45%. It's a "the rich must pay their fair share" theory.

Trump had proposed three tax brackets of 12%, 25% and 33%, eliminate "net investment income tax surcharge and eliminate the estate tax. It's the "lower taxes stimulate the economy" theory.

Both the Always Hillary and the Always Trump sides like their candidate's plan. The rest of us see problems with both plans and know Congress is going to get involved and that means all bets are off.
Old October 4th, 2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
What I know for sure that for the past several years of a federal tax rate of 25%, after taking all the deductions and credits allowed, we ended up paying an effective rate of a little over 6%.

Evasion or avoidance, it's all legal (or so our tax guy told us).

The US tax code is so massive and convoluted, even the experts agree nobody could possibly know it all.
I was a tax payer in the states from 2001 to 2006 I don't recall ever paying only 6% more like 15% after deductions I had to pay federal and state tax (mo) plus a thing called "FICA" which was supposed to pay my social if I became unemployed. However as a foreign national I was not entitled to social payments.
Still even at a net rate of 6% that has to be better than not contributing at all..

Last edited by Jaytee; October 4th, 2016 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelin
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
[I] the Pope makes Jaytee a living saint),
The Vatican rang yesterday morning after talking with Putin. You all going to be blessed..............
Old October 4th, 2016, 11:34 PM

Sorry, never finished my statement. St. Bernard.
Old October 8th, 2016, 11:00 PM

Fortunately NZ has quite a few tall mountains so a St. Bernard will come in handy.

Trump's VP candidate Pence:

Quote:
"As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the eleven-year-old video released yesterday," Pence said in a written statement. "I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people. We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night."
Pence really does seem like a regular Joe. I wonder how much longer he can pretend he actually respects Trump.
Old October 9th, 2016, 12:55 AM

I am beginning to become a fan. Maybe if I become famous I can start groping ladies. It has to be better than waiting for my seniors pension every fortnight.
I like the St Bernard as a dog but could not tolerate the slobberrrrr.

Last edited by Jaytee; October 9th, 2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old October 9th, 2016, 10:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
I was a tax payer in the states from 2001 to 2006 I don't recall ever paying only 6% more like 15% after deductions I had to pay federal and state tax (mo) plus a thing called "FICA" which was supposed to pay my social if I became unemployed. However as a foreign national I was not entitled to social payments.
Still even at a net rate of 6% that has to be better than not contributing at all..
you got ripped off if you paid fica. most likely you should not have paid.

https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/wp-co...ployees_WP.pdf
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:13 PM

Senior's Pension, join a senior's club, grope ladies. Or at least you think you did. Wake up and find the cat hiding under the bed again, hissing at you.