Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:23 PM

i tried that with no luck but i then checked the update settings on Avast and found that somehow they had been changed to auto detect proxy settings...i set it to no proxy and now it updates just fine
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Good idea to check - hadn't crossed my mind. Just need to wrap things up now.

You have older and more vulnerable Java version(s) installed there, so need to remove those and update to the latest version of that.

Go here and download the latest version of Sun Java Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 20.

I recommend you choose to download the "Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline" by clicking on that to download the installer. The current file name for that is jre-6u20-windows-i586-s.exe.

When you have done that, Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall all versions Java/JRE (Sun Java Runtime Environment/J2SE Runtime Environment) showing below, and reboot after.

Java(TM) 6 Update 11

Then be sure to disable all security software, and click that downloaded jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe to install the latest Java version there, being sure to reboot after.

---------

Then just need to remove what our work added there.

Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through Add/Remove Programs.

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that download OTC.exe by OldTimer to your desktop. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click OTC.exe, then click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot, and OTC should self-delete once the system has rebooted (if not just delete the OTC.exe file).

-------------------------

Then a good idea is to reset the System Restore. To do this, right-click My Computer and select Properties. Click the System Restore tab in the window that appears, and check the box that says "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and click Apply.

You will be asked if you are sure, click Yes. This will delete the restore points. Then click OK in the Properties window and reboot your computer.

When your desktop appears, right-click My Computer and select Properties once more. Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore..." box and click Apply. OK.

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information Here to make sure you stay malware free.