Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old February 13th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
John Oliver had a good topic on his show this past weekend.... "Reality" and Trump vs the truth.

He had some excellent points about how the falsehoods and lies of the administration were perpetuating themselves. Fake news gets distributed by bad sources... posted to facebook... linked to and recycled over and over and over... then the president sees it and repeats it. So... the president is reacting to false news... but because the president repeats it.. people think it must no longer be false... so they repeat it... so the president sees others repeating it... so anyone who points out it's fake then becomes the "opposition party" in they eyes of the current administration. Even though they are merely pointing out something false is false. ...... so everyone thinks the false facts are somehow real facts. It's as if rational thinking and intelligence has just vanished from the American public and Facebook and Twitter are the only sources of information anyone gets.

It's so blatantly clear that over the next couple years it will be the MEDIA's job to call out false stories and facts when they arise... now.. if putting faith in the administration wasn't harrowing enough.... relying on media to overlook ratings and ACTUALLY report truth.. well.... again.. where's that asteroid?
Old February 15th, 2017, 03:23 AM

O/S: Linux
@ Buzz,
Here's hoping the asteroid misses. Just going to reread your post again. I am sure I will figure it out eventually...
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:45 AM

So! We just got a "real news" media release. Described as some (CCN/FOX bar stewards) as bizarre. Surely not folks. What is the real deal here??
Credibility to alternate facts yes??

Last edited by Jaytee; February 17th, 2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: out of wed lock child re formatted
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:21 AM

Oh Wow,
Lazy old kiwi just woke up. What the heck happened in Sweden..
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Just as well he didn't turn on War of the Worlds that button would have been pressed and the ballistic missiles would have been flying.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Just as well he didn't turn on War of the Worlds that button would have been pressed and the ballistic missiles would have been flying.
Good call Ned.
So the media are our enemy?? There are times when media coverage rattles my cage a bit. Our enemy? Most dictators have a similar view and simply suppress any REAL news. Is this the track that the President of the most powerful nation in the world wishes to pursue? No news is good news..PHEW
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
Oh Wow,
Lazy old kiwi just woke up. What the heck happened in Sweden..
Oh! My bad. He was not reporting he was PREDICTING. Sorry Don *bows, scrapes, genuflects, etc....
Old February 25th, 2017, 05:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

Is this
Quote:
The New York Times, CNN, the Los Angeles Times and Politico were among the news organisations prevented from attending
Just the start of this?
Quote:
The elimination of the German multi-party political system not only brought about the demise of hundreds of newspapers produced by outlawed political parties; it also allowed the state to seize the printing plants and equipment of the Communist and Social Democratic Parties, which were often turned over directly to the Nazi Party. In the following months, the Nazis established control or exerted influence over independent press organs.
During the first weeks of 1933, the Nazi regime deployed the radio, press, and newsreels to stoke fears of a pending “Communist uprising,” then channeled popular anxieties into political measures that eradicated civil liberties and democracy.
Then have a go at reading the article with the word Muslim substituted for the word Communist. Would be dictators always need that bogyman to instill fear in the masses.
Old February 25th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Phew. Ned,
As a gynaecologist once said. "it's a big thing when you look into it". This issue seems to have a lot of things to look into. I am a bit worried about the fascist slant on the way things are panning out particularly as Trumps press secretary seems to blindly support his illustrious leader.... WORRYING..
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
particularly as Trumps press secretary seems to blindly support his illustrious leader
That's the other characteristic of such people, blind obedience, or you're out of a job. Coupled with surrounding yourself with 'yes men'
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Even the minions have climbed aboard-
Quote:
Australian childrens’ book author Mem Fox has suggested she might never to return to the US after she was detained and insulted by border control agents at Los Angeles airport.
Fox, who is famous worldwide for her best-selling books including Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes and Possum Magic, was en route to a conference in Milwaukee earlier this month when she was stopped.
She told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation she was questioned by border agents for two hours in front of a room full of people – an experience that left her feeling like she had been physically assaulted. “I have never in my life been spoken to with such insolence, treated with such disdain, with so many insults and with so much gratuitous impoliteness,” Fox said.
“I felt like I had been physically assaulted which is why, when I got to my hotel room, I completely collapsed and sobbed like a baby, and I’m 70 years old.”
The author attributed the aggressive questioning to border police who had been “turbocharged” by Donald Trump’s proposed travel ban.
Fox said she was questioned over her visa, despite having travelled to America 116 times before without incident. She was eventually granted access to the country.
see Newspaper Story
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
That's the other characteristic of such people, blind obedience, or you're out of a job. Coupled with surrounding yourself with 'yes men'
Well we have already seen plenty of evidence of that with the recent retirement/firings of non compliant staff members..
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Even the minions have climbed aboard-

see Newspaper Story
Yeah.. I get that. writing subversive Islamic children’s stories to pervert the youth of America should be heavily scrutinised. I have been in that situation to a much lessor but equally uncomfortable degree.. (before the Trump )
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yea, you gota wonder about some of the books she's written http://memfox.com/books/
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yea, you gota wonder about some of the books she's written http://memfox.com/books/
Yep. I have read some of these to my great granddaughter and she is becoming a right little rebel.. Oh what to do next??