Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Okay, I will admit I just am not all that up to speed on Chrome, and actually, given all it's squirrelly issues, was kinda hoping it would fade away. Even simple things like Chrome set as the default browser causes some sites and tools to not work, since it is not built on a common base that other browsers use.

Quote:
problems with an mmo I play
Help me out with more details on that please. What browser do you use with that, what actually is an "mmo" etc.
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:17 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Okay, I will admit I just am not all that up to speed on Chrome, and actually, given all it's squirrelly issues, was kinda hoping it would fade away. Even simple things like Chrome set as the default browser causes some sites and tools to not work, since it is not built on a common base that other browsers use.
I'm happy with the chrome now to be honest, the mywebsearch has gone and seems to have died a death thanks to the help. If you're happy the OTL log isn't showing anything nasty now I'm happy to leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Help me out with more details on that please. What browser do you use with that, what actually is an "mmo" etc.
So sorry, I'm making assumptions. MMO = massively multi-player online game, in this case dungeons and dragons online.

A very common problem is each time you change to a different character or enter new areas your PC builds up some kind of memory leak which eventually exceeds what it can cope with and the game client crashes kicking you out to the desktop. You then have to relog back in again to play. This can happen again and again.

In the game you get connection details showing a latency depending on server location relative to your location (US server to my PC in the UK) of approximately 110 ms and a package loss, usually 0.0% but which always jumps up to anything around 10-20% loss. I'm not entirely sure what this package loss means or what causes it but it seems to have gotten worse in the last week or so. I was wondering if anything we've done might have had an effect.

If there's another moderator on cybertechhelp that would have more experience in this I'm fine with the topic being moved, although as I've been working with you I thought I'd ask here first.

PS: Would you actually recommend not using chrome if it uses an unusual base for browsing?

Last edited by Buggs; May 20th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:34 AM

Chrome just doesn't play by the same rules as other browsers, so it itself can be the issue at times. In some thread where they rarely use it, they find that since it is preset to run apps even when it is closed, those cause other browser problems.

We need to run through some final clean-up steps here, but I prefer not to then move threads from the Malware Removal Forum to other forums, as it tends to open the door to bad suggestions incorrectly mistaken as remaining malware issues. But yes, once we finish here, you may want to open a new request in perhaps the CTH Gaming forum.

We finish up here with our work now?
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Absolutely, whatever final clean-up steps that are required would be most appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2012, 02:00 AM

Go to Start – Settings – Control Panel. Click on Add/Remove Programs. If any of the following programs are listed there, click on the program to highlight it, and click on Remove. Then close the Control Panel.

Coupon Printer for Windows - long negative history - see here
Pando Media Booster - Every file you download using this is then shared through it's P2P network, using your bandwidth to do that.

If they don't use these, uninstall them to stop them from using up resources:

Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
Bing Bar Platform

Smart thinking also suggests removing this - using torrent software is the number one way to get serious system infection.

BitTorrent

--------

The logs show you have slightly outdated versions of vulnerable programs, so Go to each of these sites and update to the latest version (keep your eyes open - they often slide in "opportunities" for things like Google, or McAfee's scanner):

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
(For Adobe Reader and Flash Player - uncheck the useless McAfee scan, if offered)

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
(For Java 7 Update 4 - trying to slip Ask adware/spyware to systems lately, so watch and uncheck it)

Once you have done that, be sure to go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any older, more vulnerable Java versions.

---------

Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through Add/Remove Programs.

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that run OTL again. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot.

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information Here to make sure you stay malware free.

For other Chrome issues, you can post a new request thread in the CTH Internet/Browsers forum.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM

Ok, had all those programs except Bing bar which I'd already gotten rid of, all went ok.

Also dropped bittorrent without a problem.

I only use the normal windows firewall, are online armour or outpost worth adding?

I use AVG 2012 free, malwarebytes, occasionally windows defender and spywareblaster, all updated and used regularly. Any suggestions for changes, please let me know. If not I'll assume these are fine and continue as I am.

Thanks for all the advice, I may look into posting a thread for help with the game issues.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:01 AM

May want to consider uninstalling Defender. It has no history of ever being effective, and can interfere with other programs.