Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Lease time is set to "Forever"

I have checked the date and time on the computer and in the BIOS both are correct.

Have you any other suggestions ? ? ?

In my first post (in the link to the picture of the router settings) I notice that in the "Internet Settings" section a load of the addresses are 0.0.0.0 is that normal / correct.

(Why do I have to re-save the router settings everytime I restart the computer .. . . even though the correct settings still appear in the relevant boxes when I log onto the router. All I have to do is click on the "Save Settings" button.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
You should not have to re-save any of the settings at all. As far as the load of addresses being zero's that isn't good. Are they still like that? I wouldn't think they are if you are indeed on the internet. You should have a WAN IP along with subnetmask and gateways as well as dns addresses. Those should be the public IP addresses that you get from your ISP. Everything on the WAN side is what the world sees all public addresses. The LAN side should all be local or private addresses example 192.168.0.1 ect ect. If the router doesn't have WAN addressing you shouldn't be able to hit the internet. It seems like one of two things is going on.

A. The router is losing its addressing on the WAN side when you reboot the computer. That would be odd and surely a bad router.

B The router is fine and keeps its addressing but when you reboot the computer it loses its addressing from the router. That would also be odd but at least you wouldn't have to exchange the router.

I still have a sneaking voice telling me to look for the MAC address clone option. If you click the tab for "LAN Settings" is it in there? What about the tab for "MAC address filtering"? If you can't find it anyplace in the router then the last resort would be to flash the firmware to a newer ver. Once you do that if you can't get the router to work I'd call it a day and get a new router.
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

I'll try and find a "MAC Cloning" option somewhere in the router settings.

When (IF ! ! ) I connect to the internet next time I'll go back into the router settings and see if there are some "proper" WAN Addresses rather than a whole load of zeros.

Have I mentioned that there is another wireless network within range that I can connect to without any problems at all ? ? ? (Does this suggest it's a problem with the router rather than the computer ? ? ?)

I'll let you know how I get on after trying all of your suggestions. . .

Again thanks for all you help. . .
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

I found a copy "MAC" address which I tried but still no different.

I'm calling it quits on this one. . . . . . . . time for a new router,

Many thanks for all your help bAdWaYz it's really appreciated but I think in this case it's a lost cause. I really believe the router is (to use a technical term) knackered.

Once again thanks.
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Hey no problem Neal sorry I couldn't help get you going on this one. Keep us up to date on how things go with a new router. I'd like to know that you at least did get something working.
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi bAdWaYz

Just a quick update.

Binned the router/modem and got a new one. It works perfectly.

Never had a router pack up before, is it, in your experience a common problem ? ? ?