Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old October 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Mystified about that "file is invalid" warning. You did do:

Quote:
To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"
The files that are "invalid" show as .exe files?

Right click Here and select Save Target As (Firefox Save Link As) and save UnHookExec.inf to your Desktop. Bes sure to save it as an .inf file (you may have to add that as you save the file).

Then right-click on UnHookExec.inf and select Install. You may only see a desktop flicker as the changes are made.

Assuming that these invalid files do show as .exe files, reboot after doing UnHookExec.inf, and try them again please.
Old October 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM

Red face Win 7 Home Premium Windows Update fails

I's still stumped... windows won't update or let me download windows files, or most other files. Is there a cure for this?
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:28 PM

Not sure you are following my lead. I suggested some steps, in hopes that maybe you could install Firefox etc., but your replies are not very detailed.
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:03 PM

Smile

I am wondering if this problem is going to ever be resolved. I would like to be able to do updates in Microsoft Windows... I think whatever is effecting this machine must be a mean virus. I need to use the internet Explorer and this is driving my batty.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Whatever malware or virus this is, I can't dload or open files... is it possible to use a flash drive with the files that I need...on it? And if so, should I dload on another PC running Win7, or would it be okay to save from one running Vista... I have both available here.
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:58 PM

Do this - go to Start - Control Panel - User accounts - Manage another account - Create a new account. Create a new user Administrator account, any name you choose.

Reboot, log in to the new account, and see if files work then.
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:02 PM

I am wondering if anyone here has a clue what I should do. I am trying to avoid doing a factory reset. I tried that previously and it didn't change the problem much. It made a recovery folder and saved certain files... however the issue basically was unchanged. I was hopiing someone here would know what else I could try... I'm hoping the harddrive won't have to be formatted, because for some reason the backups that I made when I purchased this machine is asking me to backup again... and I don't know if the ones I made will work. Anybody have a clue?
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
It made a recovery folder and saved certain files
????

Not sure what that refers to. Did you create a new user account and boot to that?
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:28 PM

I admit I am somewhat mystified. I posted my last reply, but then you posted here saying no one had replied. Then you sent me a PM, but I have yet to get a response to:

Quote:
Did you create a new user account and boot to that?
Have you done that yet?