Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old September 14th, 2023, 10:27 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Copy home created DVDs

I make a lot of DVDs of family events using Pinnacle software. I'm always asked for copies by relatives or friends. I don't have any copy software, so I wind up recreating the DVD using the Pinnacle software, which takes way more time to generate the DVD than if I could just copy.

I'm willing to pay for the software and I am NOT trying to get software to copy a commercial, purchased DVD of a movie. I just want to do a "simple" copy of a DVD I created from either downloading old VHS home tapes or videos and pictures from my digital cameras. I have Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron. Thanks.

Last edited by rjh213; September 14th, 2023 at 11:34 PM.
Old September 15th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Do you really need to send the relatives DVDs? DVDs are easily scratched or even lost. Plus, they require a DVD player to view the files. Such players are being phased out as more and more users are going with streaming, cloud storage, thumb drives, or just photo/video files on their computers or smart phones.

Plus, there is the cost of blank disks. And last time I tried to burn disks, there always ended up being a couple that failed that, if nothing else, wasted even more time and caused considerable frustration to this already impatient user.

Why not just store them out in the cloud or send them the files via email? In that way, each relative can simply copy them to their own smart phones, computers, or thumb drives - or all of the above. And they can easily share them with others too.

And speaking of thumb drives, instead of burning DVDs, you could copy these files to thumb drives. I note many "smart" TVs now include USB ports just for such devices. And of course, essentially all laptops and PCs have USB ports.

Last, you can burn DVDs with Windows 10. See How to Burn a CD or DVD on Windows 10.
Old September 16th, 2023, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the reply, but let me answer your first question by telling you the video and pictures I have are of a relative's 60th wedding anniversary, so you can guess my intended targets. They need the "old" method.

I am using a product called Pinnacle Studio that allows for titles, transitions, a menu, etc. It produces a "movie". It takes awhile to produce the DVD. Once done, it would be quicker to just copy the DVD rather than generate another one from scratch using the program. I know that I could export the project as an .avi or .mp4 and then burn to a DVD, but once I have completed my project in Pinnacle and exported it to a DVD, it would be quicker to just copy the DVD so I can have multiple DVDs for others.
Old September 16th, 2023, 03:17 PM

I fully understand the age/old thing. It still does not change my recommendations. The problem is optical disks (CDs, DVDs, even Blu-ray) are fragile and becoming obsolete. And with 230 movie DVDs and Blu-ray disks, and nearly 600 music CDs, that certainly is a concern for me too (and I'm no spring chicken either).

Elderly hands may struggle to open the jewel cases, handle the disks by the edges only, and insert them in the disk trays without damage or fingerprints. Then of course, there is finding the right buttons to select the video source for the display, and pressing play.

For sure, some of those same or similar challenges exist with thumb drives and cloud storage but even young great grandchildren know how to use them! At least my 6 year old great grandson does! I am just saying, we old people can learn new tricks - with good lighting!

Pinnacle Studio, in one form or another, has been around for 30 years or so. I have not used it in years, but am familiar with it.

I understand what you want to do. You made that clear in your opening post. I provided a link showing how to copy disks with Windows. Not sure what more from me you are looking for.

Maybe what you are looking for is in here: how to copy DVDs. Good luck.
Old September 19th, 2023, 03:16 AM

Thanks. There was a program in that last link that would do what I was wanting it to do - copy a DVD I had created with Pinnacle Studio. Turns out the copy took about as long as just generating one in Pinnacle. But that may not always be the case, and there could be a time when the copy program would be the better option. Thank you.
Old September 19th, 2023, 02:57 PM

I still think you should work on getting these folks to use a thumb drive. Old folks hate change. As an old folk, I understand that perfectly well. But when we see how much easier something is, we tend to like that and will adapt - though it may take a couple demonstrations before it sinks in.

The major downside to thumb drives is it is easier for malware to be transported to new machines via a thumb drive. So any demonstration needs to be accompanied by a stern warning to NEVER insert a thumb drive into a computer unless they know and trust the person giving it to them. And it should be noted malware can be transported via DVD too. So it is not a threat exclusive to thumb drives. That said, inserting a thumb drive into a smart TV would not pose such a security threat.

Last, the actual "burning" or saving of data to an optical disk is slow as it involves several steps - including slow mechanical steps. My point is, you seem to be, and rightfully so, concerned about all the time it takes to make these DVD copies. Copying files to flash drives would be significantly faster.

Just a couple more things for you to consider.
Old September 19th, 2023, 07:50 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I recently transferred 75 VHS tapes to DVDs using my Panasonic DVD Recorder. I then used https://www.dvdshrink.org/ to make extra copies instead of running two hour tapes again.
DVD Shrink is easy to use, and it's free.
https://www.dvdshrink.org/
Old September 19th, 2023, 11:40 PM

O/S: Linux
I really think the simplest answer is to upload the file(s) to somewhere like Gofile then send your folks young and old the download link...
Old September 20th, 2023, 02:13 AM

The problem with gofile is uploaded files are automatically deleted if not downloaded by more than one user at least once a week. You can upgrade to a Premium account to keep the files permanent - but a Premium account is $10/month which some may feel is a bit pricy.
Old September 20th, 2023, 09:32 PM

My only reason for mentioning Gofile is that it is lightning fast and can handle huge files.However there are a lot of options in this regard... For free..:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+files...=v386-1&ia=web

Last edited by Jaytee; September 20th, 2023 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Some dummy forgot the link.
Old January 31st, 2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
My only reason for mentioning Gofile is that it is lightning fast and can handle huge files.However there are a lot of options in this regard... For free..:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+files...=v386-1&ia=webmapquest
The free version has limitations, but it's a reliable option for sharing files.
Old January 31st, 2024, 06:40 AM

Sorry I never thought to add the mxquxst spam to my link. The ban van welcomes you..................