Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Smile I had to press escape key to bring up desktop?

I shut down my computer and when I pressed the button to reboot my computer all I saw was the blue screen, I had to press the escape key to bring up desktop which is a first for me. What could have happened??

I did visit a site I frequent which had been hacked I posted on another board about that, is there a scan I can download and run to ensure my computer is not infected. I have free avast which I ran about a week ago and nothing was found.

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:23 AM

update I ran my free avast and my mailwarebytes and nothing found.
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Sometimes a blue screen will show, usually down near the bottom of the screen, some information about a certain file causing the problem. Sometimes it doesn't tell you anything useful...unless you're a Microsoft coder, perhaps.

I had an XP system that would randomly blue-screen on startup. We never diagnosed the problem, just forced a shutdown and restart, after which it worked flawlessly for days, weeks or months until it would bluescreen again. It did that for the three years we owned the system.

I finally reformatted and reinstalled to give the system to an in-law and they haven't seen a blue screen yet, six months later.

So, it may just have been a random event that means not much of anything. If it happens again, look at the bottom of the blue screen for clues.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM

thanks It did it again, had to shut down for severe storms last nite. I saw no clues at all. I had to press escape keys several times to bring up desk top. Am I doing the right thing or is there another key to bring up desk top.? I hardly ever shut down my computer at all.

I found this interesting,I just did a windows/vista update and it had a restart the desktop came right up.
Thanks!

Last edited by perplexed; May 9th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.